The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe not even the next best thing, but close.
Its a 1963 Gibson Melody Maker!
2 pickups, great cool old finish. Super clean, original case, strap and even a few picks.
It had a headstock repair and probably sat in its case for years before getting repaired.
Its a fun little guitar for sure.
The original tuners are really stiff. What should I use to lube them with, or should I change them?
Cheers

melody maker.JPG
melody maker2.JPG
melodymakerback.JPG

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
That back!

As for the tuners, try turning them a bunch to see if they loosen up. They may be a little seized, who knows.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
How is the intonation? The bridge looks like it was made for a wound G string.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the intonation is a bif off for the G string, but its not too bad.
I did just sell an old Junior, but it was a re-fin. I am getting picky in my old age and only want original finish guitars. Something about that old crazed finish is beautiful to me.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I have a ‘62. The tuners were ultra stiff and I eventually replaced them with repros.

I’ll check and see if the name of the repro tuners was written on the bag which I think I kept in the case with the originals. They were included with the guitar when I bought it, so I didn’t pick them out, but they were a perfect match for the holes drilled from the original tuners.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did they have those compensated bridges in 63.
My understanding is that the MM’s built with the offset studs for the tailpiece (such as mine) would have the smooth bridge and the ones with the studs in line with each other such as the OP’s would have the compensated bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I got a ‘61 from @krall that was a featherweight. He’d replaced the bridge pup with a MM-sized P-90 wound by Curtis Novak. It wasn’t that different from a lot of vintage Jrs. I’ve played.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Yes, with the Novak it was close to a Jr., the original pickups were quite weak.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a ‘62. The tuners were ultra stiff and I eventually replaced them with repros.

I’ll check and see if the name of the repro tuners was written on the bag which I think I kept in the case with the originals. They were included with the guitar when I bought it, so I didn’t pick them out, but they were a perfect match for the holes drilled from the original tuners.
That used to be my MM. Its an amazing guitar! Was a perfect match for my 55 JR They both had the same about of wear!!! The tuners I put on it were either Gotoh or Kluson 3 a side strip tuners with the white buttons. The same kind that you'd put on a JR too. they fit in the post holes exactly and no extra holes needed to be drilled at all.

Glad to see you like that guitar! It's got about 45000 stories to tell!

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
That used to be my MM. Its an amazing guitar! Was a perfect match for my 55 JR They both had the same about of wear!!! The tuners I put on it were either Gotoh or Kluson 3 a side strip tuners with the white buttons. The same kind that you'd put on a JR too. they fit in the post holes exactly and no extra holes needed to be drilled at all.

Glad to see you like that guitar! It's got about 45000 stories to tell!
Nice to hear from you! A bunch of guitars have come and gone since I brought this one home but I've never once considered selling it. I suppose it will stay with me for a long time (until I can afford a '55 Jr at least!).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts