The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
David Gilmour and The Edge from 35 years ago (holy FAK has it been that long since Red Rocks?) are very happy right now. Nicely done.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would like to hear more about the pickups, please.
So these pickups are a design of Leo Fender, basically the way they're wound mimics that of a humbucker, so you have a single-coil-like tone, but without the hum. The positioning and design make them a little beefier than a single coil though. Another cool addition to this guitar is the little switch by the volume pot. It turns the neck pickup on or off. That way you can have more pickup selections when used in conjunction with the 5-way selector.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
That G&L is gorgeous! Every time I see a Comanche I think of Andy from Pro Guitar Shop as he did a lot of his early pedal demos using a Comanche through a 65Amps Soho.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
congrats!!

I've always been curious about those Z pups

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
So these pickups are a design of Leo Fender, basically the way they're wound mimics that of a humbucker, so you have a single-coil-like tone, but without the hum.
Yep. Basically the guitar equivalent of a split P pickup (which replaced the original single coil on what is now referred to as a Tele Bass, but was really the first version of the P from '51, for the exact same reason - keep the tone but lose the hum).

I am not sure if Leo first designed them or if someone else did it first based off the P Bass design, and then Leo put them in his G&Ls. I had a Guitar Player magazine from the 90s with an article on 3 Nashville Tele guys who got together to do some thing (one was Marty Stuart IIRC... Jerry Donahue maybe, and a third , very large, dude) and one of them (I think the 3rd guy) had the split pups in his Tele back then. I remembered it because it was the first time I'd seen pups like that in a guitar (vs bass)... I have that issue somewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts
Yep. Basically the guitar equivalent of a split P pickup (which replaced the original single coil on what is now referred to as a Tele Bass, but was really the first version of the P from '51, for the exact same reason - keep the tone but lose the hum).

I am not sure if Leo first designed them or if someone else did it first based off the P Bass design, and then Leo put them in his G&Ls. I had a Guitar Player magazine from the 90s with an article on 3 Nashville Tele guys who got together to do some thing (one was Marty Stuart IIRC... Jerry Donahue maybe, and a third , very large, dude) and one of them (I think the 3rd guy) had the split pups in his Tele back then. I remembered it because it was the first time I'd seen pups like that in a guitar (vs bass)... I have that issue somewhere.
Will Ray uses the split pickups on his sig G&L T style.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
So these pickups are a design of Leo Fender, basically the way they're wound mimics that of a humbucker, so you have a single-coil-like tone, but without the hum. The positioning and design make them a little beefier than a single coil though. Another cool addition to this guitar is the little switch by the volume pot. It turns the neck pickup on or off. That way you can have more pickup selections when used in conjunction with the 5-way selector.
I've always liked the look of them. So would you say these pickups are in the P90 range?

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've always liked the look of them. So would you say these pickups are in the P90 range?
Funny enough, everything I've heard about these pickups is that they're in between a single coil and humbucker, but never heard them compared to a P90, even though that's how P90's are described as well. I need more time with the guitar before I can make an opinion on the matter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts