The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey. It's been a while.

Last month I played my buddy's 2018 Sg jr and was blown away. No joke, I thought it was a custom shop model. So I set off to hunt one down. Luckily, I was able to snag this beaut...pretty sure she is one piece,
and man does she ever resonate!

Its super stable in the tuning dept, has great fret work and intonates great! The tophats went on yesterday (really dig 'em on the R0).

Love it! I highly recommend checking these out if you are in the market for a junior.

I'm back into Gibsons!
20180820_201609.jpg
20180817_222734.jpg

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Very nice. There are a couple of them hanging on the wall at L&M south in Edmonton right now. A new one and a "used" one. The used one is only $1,250. I keep staring at it...I should probably just take it home. Haha. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
... used my SG Junior at rehearsal with a Clubman and the tone was huge... used the new Keeley "Monterey" wow! The Junior was around $1500 new at McQuades… script logo... really sounds as good as it plays and looks!!!

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Very cool guitars. I've owned several used and bought them all in the $600 - $700 range. New ones are way overpriced.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
I will repeat my theory that the tone of a guitar is partly related to how close the bridge is to thw waist (narrowest point) or hips (widest point) of the guitar. The SG-body LPJ has its bridge/tailpiece pretty much at the waist which, in tandem with the choice of mahogany and a P-90, would emphasize the "throatiness" of the guitar.

My personal beef with the SG is that having a neck pickup on the thing is rather pointless. Virtually everything about it that is useful is found in the bridge pickup.

As an aside, the classic "flaw" in the SG was the tendency for the neck-body joint to be the source of "accidents". Leaving the neck pickup out, helps to make the neck tenon a little stronger.

None of what I say here is intended to be a criticism of this guitar. Rather, Gibson decided not to break something that was fixed. Congrats. Not as all-purpose as a Tele, but it is true to its particular purpose, and that merits respect. Besides, it's RED!

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I will repeat my theory that the tone of a guitar is partly related to how close the bridge is to thw waist (narrowest point) or hips (widest point) of the guitar. The SG-body LPJ has its bridge/tailpiece pretty much at the waist which, in tandem with the choice of mahogany and a P-90, would emphasize the "throatiness" of the guitar.

My personal beef with the SG is that having a neck pickup on the thing is rather pointless. Virtually everything about it that is useful is found in the bridge pickup.

As an aside, the classic "flaw" in the SG was the tendency for the neck-body joint to be the source of "accidents". Leaving the neck pickup out, helps to make the neck tenon a little stronger.

None of what I say here is intended to be a criticism of this guitar. Rather, Gibson decided not to break something that was fixed. Congrats. Not as all-purpose as a Tele, but it is true to its particular purpose, and that merits respect. Besides, it's RED!
Ask Derek Trucks or Eric Clapton what an SG neck pickup can do ;)

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Probably the only reason I haven't picked up one of these Juniors is due to how much I like my Tribute with 2 P90s (I replaced the minis). It seems like it would overlap a bit too much.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Although a single pickup at the bridge has its own sound bcs if there’s a neck pickup on there in addition to the bridge pickup the magnets of the neck pickup will mess with the strings even if the neck pickup is turned off - so I’m told.

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Although a single pickup at the bridge has its own sound bcs if there’s a neck pickup on there in addition to the bridge pickup the magnets of the neck pickup will mess with the strings even if the neck pickup is turned off - so I’m told.
Yeah, I'm sure there's some effect and the SG Junior I played was super-light and resonant. It sounded great through the Traynor, Vox and Marshall I tried it through, too.

I suppose I could figure out a way to justify having two SGs with P90s...

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
I have two LPJs - the pickup on one is hotter but the other one is good for other stuff so I have to keep it too ... lol

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure there's some effect and the SG Junior I played was super-light and resonant. It sounded great through the Traynor, Vox and Marshall I tried it through, too.

I suppose I could figure out a way to justify having two SGs with P90s...
Have two different p90's, string gauges and finishes.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
I mentioned the single pickup difference to a guy that works at lil demon and he said yeah when he took the neck pickup off his guitar the bridge pickup sounded different.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts