The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I picked up the kind-of-hard-to-find SE Custom 22 stoptail model. This one is an older (2007 ish?) model due to the moon inlays, as I'm fairly sure nearly all current models come with birds. It has a generic gigbag, and after a pickup swap will serve backup duties just fine.

All that said, I am still lusting for the new S2 satin singlecut in black. I love the body shape and I love satin finishes for wearing them away.

Here's the only pic that matters!

Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments String instrument

·
Registered
408 Posts
I like it. Always wanted to try out one of these, but like you said, not many around. I would like to believe this is a true hybrid of Les Paul and Strat. Is that true?

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Playing wise, I would say yes. My experience with the coil tap/split options on the USA models (which is now extended to the SE line I believe) is that you can cover a wide range of tones. I finally gigged a strat and really enjoyed it. Then I went back to a les paul studio and really enjoyed it (I got a good one). Now I'm using a Custom 22 and I really enjoy that. They are all flexible guitars that suit our style of music well (though the PRS is far less common).

PRS revamped their SE line for 2015 and I really like what they're offering. They make a lot of lineup changes every year or two, but that does mean that they probably made a guitar to someone's preferred spec at some point.

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Congrats! I have the exact same colour/model except mine's not a hardtail. The SEs are excellent guitars.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Nice, congrats!

What pickups will you be swapping for, do you have a go to set?

Coil slpitting sure does add versatility, I prefer my gigging guitar to have that option.

I recently got in a McCarty on a trade, I'm in love with that guitar!
I had it out at band practice last night and it sounded wonderful, very happy.

I've been interested in the Bernie Marsden model since I saw a demo of it with the man himself.
It looks like, and sounds like it would rock right out of the box.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a seymour duncan '59 set in the USA, so I would keep an eye out for similar on the used market. I like McCarty's, but I feel they excel at rock riffs while I can play whatever I want without much thought on the custom series. That being said TGS just got in a special run of McCarty's and the GAS is bad.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I had the exact guitar as well but the damn thing wouldn't stay in tune. PRS Customer Support was fantastic (exceptional really) but nothing would fix the issue (even a replacement tuner), so she had to go.
The new SE's get lots of love and I'm gassing large for the new Vela S2.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you try replacing the nut? I have a new nut waiting to go on my USA custom 22. Previous owner was all "ya I do my own setups and I'm pretty good" but I run a gauge lower than it came with and the G binds. Our guitars will get the setup treatment before studio time.

G

·
Every time I click on this thread, I'm getting that much closer to wanting a PRS. Even a SE.
So .. if you ever decide to flip, .. dibs! lol.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If anyone else is interested, shoot me a message. This is where Greco goes "But Justin, you just got it!". I won't need it for recording and would rather reduce some bills before the holidays really kick into gear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts