The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I went to the store looking for a cheap guitar to mod for fun, specifically a Bullet Strat or Mustang. Then I saw this one, started playing around with it and was very impressed. It was nicer than the Affinity Strats I played (3 of them) and the Bullet Mustang. Between the 12" radius, the flat relief and the low action, it plays very smooth. I restrung it with 10s through the top-load bridge (it also loads through the body)

The Mustang was "nice for the money", and I do enjoy the short scale feel, but this Jazzmaster sounded great, where all the rest were OK. I went home to think about it, and couldn't stop thinking about the Jazzmaster. So I ended up going back to buy it before someone else did. You never know with these guitars, the next one I find might not be so good.

The bridge pickup is very hot and crunchy, even has some twang to it, so you don't forget it's a Fender (Squier). The neck pickup is powerful too, but muddy. It might be good for someone else, but I'll likely swap it for something that's more clear and smooth (like a Fender Wide Range) I think the bridge pickup is a keeper (for now at least). The tuners aren't great and I don't like string trees, so the first thing I do will probably be to drop in some staggered locking tuners (which I already have). I'll probably end up swapping the pickguard too if I can find someone who makes them for this model (maybe brown tortoise shell or black pearloid)

All in all, it's actually a very solid platform, I'm pleasantly surprised. The string ferrules came off with the old strings, I still have them, but I was figuring to use the strings top-load style anyways. Those and the tuners are the cheap spots, everything else including the frets seems to be well put together

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
I just picked a Fender Jaguar Blacktop HH. Only real difference is the scale length (24" vs 25.5")

Reactions: benjammin420

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice one, congrats!

Looks good and I like that with just the three way.
Yep, a tort guard would look good too.
Thanks. I can't decide if I want to go for aged white pickups/knobs, like a vintage JM, or if I should keep them black

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just picked a Fender Jaguar Blacktop HH. Only real difference is the scale length (24" vs 25.5")
I might pick one of those up some day if I can find. I would've preferred a short scale, but mostly I wanted humbuckers, and this one was alot nicer than the Bullet Mustang HH. If they after make an Affinity Jaguar, I'm going to be all over it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks great!

I vote aged knobs, Tort pickguards and lipstick humbucker on the neck!

Pro-Tube Lipstick Guitar Pickups

Nathan
Do you have experience with GFS pickups? I've been curious for a while, but the shipping to Canada seems pretty high for a lower-end item, but if they're worth it, then what the hell. I've been thinking about Vineham pickups, the reviews I've seen were all positive, and they cheaper than Duncan or Dimarzio at L&M

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Do you have experience with GFS pickups? I've been curious for a while, but the shipping to Canada seems pretty high for a lower-end item, but if they're worth it, then what the hell. I've been thinking about Vineham pickups, the reviews I've seen were all positive, and they cheaper than Duncan or Dimarzio at L&M
No I have never bought anything from guitar fetish.

I have read good things about their lipsticks and goldfoils.

I tend to stick to Canadian winders unless Im looking for something specific, (weird?).
Pickup wizard, reilander etc are actually cheaper than Duncan's right now, with our crappy dollar & crazy price of us shipping.

Nathan

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
+1 on buying local. I got a MIM HSS Strat in a trade with a forum member & he'd installed Reilanders - they were quite nice. That guitar's long gone, but I was jonesing for HSS again so I decided to convert an S-S-S Hwy 1. Based on recommendations from a friend I ended up ordering from Tone Emporium in Ottawa. Haven't had a chance to get the guitar wired up yet, but Rick was fantastic to deal with: great prices & hassle-free shipping.

Have also had good experiences with Jon Moore in Hamilton - the latest was a set of custom-wound HB-sized Filtertrons for an ES-Les Paul Black Top that I decided to Gretschify.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts