The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local brick & mortar store finally got in two of the new 2020 Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard Outfits -- these are out of stock/sold out pretty well everywhere here and the US. Those who do have one say Epiphone really nailed it with this one -- quality US Burstbucker pickups/CTS/Switchcraft electronics and long neck tenon (Epiphone | 1959 Les Paul Standard). I needed to see/play them in real time, to check the neck profile before jumping in. The neck is wonderful ( I have a played a real '59), but...

Yikes, both had warped /bent pickup mounting rings. Gotta say this is pretty crappy QC on their highest-end model. Looking at the LP forum, the ring issue isn't unique to this one... As I likely won't see any others until next year (if at all given the limited run), I got the aged cherry burst, figuring I could shape the rings, as I do my own maintenance/repair. Looking at it in detail, these are indeed warped, so I'll have to find curved replacement rings that fit the Epi specs...

So, if you're thinking of getting one online, get pics of the one you are buying!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Good to know.
Thx for the heads up.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So they're flat rings?
Yes & no -- ever so slight curvature that needs fitting but the warp is still there when removed, so sandng to the body contour is futile...
What gets me is how it ever got that QC sticker on the back of the neck!!

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
Yes & no -- ever so slight curvature that needs fitting but the warp is still there when removed, so sandng to the body contour is futile...
What gets me is how it ever got that QC sticker on the back of the neck!!
I've seen rings a bit wonky on the neck pickup against the neck.
Those are thinner and might be a bit harder to spot in QC, but that's pretty apparent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts