The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I went looking for a Martin CF-1 archtop. The only natural I could purchase had been altered with the addition of a second pickup etc.. None of the sellers with a non-sunburst/altered guitar would ship to Canada. Oh well -- someday. The sunbursts all looked like the sprayer was doing ojt -- not even symmetrical, or subtle.

Purchased it on line (thanks Chris at The 12th Fret) and everything went without a hitch. Well it's funny now -- the combo', on the case, was locked! I resisted the urge to pop it, and went on the Gibson site. There's enough demand for a solution that it was included in the FAQ's. Easy flashlite fix. The mechanism had just vibrated to secure/pita position while in transit.

It's a '92 Gibson ES-165 (single pickup/slightly roomier neck ES-175) Herb Ellis edition. Louder acoustically than I had expected, and the neck is exactly what I hoped for. Plays like butter. Worn in, not worn out, with a nice 'vintage vibe'. Had it about a week now, and still dig'n it. Enough dough left over (because I couldn't find a CF-1) to pick up another acoustic too. And a 'steal me' blue case. I'm a happy clam.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
That is a beauty! It's got a lot of what I really like in a guitar.

Reactions: Blind Dog

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks. Worst case of (damn I should have bought the Collings SJ or Martin D-76 or ...) buyer's remorse I've ever had. Until it came. I think I'll survive.

I don't ever play jazz greco. Too much respect for those who do. I'm still trying to hang with 'John (g, c, & d) Prine'. I really don't have anything more than the skills to put a Herb Ellis record on the turntable. When those cats 'noodle' it's art -- if I noodle it's soup for lunch.

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
11,828 Posts
Very nice guitar. I've always had a hankerin' for a 175 (Steve Howe fan that I am).

I've never even heard of an ES-165. The 175 used to come in a single pup version - in fact, the dual pup version is actually an ES-175D. You mention slightly roomier neck - do you mean wider? Other than that, the same as a 175? Do you know what pickup is installed?

Reactions: Blind Dog

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey High/Deaf, I had a 175 in the works locally, and then the kijiji price went from $2500 to $3000 after I showed interest. My interest then faded. Mine's armed with a Gibson 490R humbucker, and it's got the tone, as well as volume, pots thru the top. In 2004 they changed to single volume on the pick guard, and a Gibson BJB floating humbucker. I'd seen black 165's, but this was the first figured maple (lam') I'd seen. I just wanted a big, funky, jazz box. The fret board seems flatter & wider, and the neck seems beefier than I found the 175 -- but that's just my take -- no published data to back that up. There was a nice, very highly figured, natural ES-175 on Reverb I would have bought. The chap had no prior sales -- so I went with the less flashy 165. A twin to that pretty 175 recently came up on Van? CL. My money's gone tho, and I've no regrets.

Always seems to be 420 o'clock when I post Ron. :cool:

Thanks to all for the kind words. I've got to check the time.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's 42o o'clock.

·
Premium Member
11,828 Posts
I've got a buddy who has a 175D. He doesn't seem to play it much so I'm keeping an eye on that one. I wouldn't say I'm actively searching, but I wouldn't say 'no' to a deal that came my way. You know, helping my buddy out and all. ;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got a buddy who has a 175D. He doesn't seem to play it much so I'm keeping an eye on that one. I wouldn't say I'm actively searching, but I wouldn't say 'no' to a deal that came my way. You know, helping my buddy out and all. ;)
You're a good friend. I'm not actively looking either. But just in case something happens to you, for safety's sake, how would one get a hold of him?

He's going to need to fill your void.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
That's a beauty!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts