The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you can't find what you want, you might as well make it, right? Well in this case, it was from a custom kit.

Took so long to get the kit, I had to finish it in my basement on the deep-freeze as I couldn't keep our detached 2-car garage at constant heat to cure the finish given the season.

Finished product (don't mind the flash glare):

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was Precision, but I'd do Fast Guitars if I had to do it all over again, especially with our weak currency now. Same guitars essentially - wood suppliers, CNC work, etc. (no surprise since they share the same building and CNC machinery), but Kevin Fast's stuff is denominated in $CDN and he gets the edge for service... ;)

Have an extra Explorer body in Korina if anyone's interested in having a go, btw. You'll just need to order an Explorer neck from either Fast Guitars or Precision. I'll discount it by 50% to boot!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'78 DiMarzio PAF, Emerson Pro pots, Switchcraft jack and '50's Bumblebee PIO tone cap (organ pull). The wraparound bridge is MojoAxe compensated model, studs are TonePros locking and the tuners are Gotohs - very high quality, precise MIJ units (they made the TonePros/Kluson-branded models that were far superior quality/performance than the now MIK Kluson junk). My buddy cut a nice bone nut for it.

Oh yeah - the fingerboard is some nice dark rosewood. Almost looks like ebony with some fingerboard conditioner on it... :cool:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments all. It is an interesting and personally rewarding hobby if you're so inclined.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spent some serious time dialing in the pickup height and the pole piece screws on the pickup after work today. The old DiMarzio PAF's really reward that extra effort because they're quite a fussy pickup that way. If you get things just right though, it's like hitting the jackpot with every pull, especially with a slab o' Korina like this.

I'm really digging this one... :D

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Roryfan's the man! Reached a deal on the other Korina "X" body, so should be winging its' way to Burling-Tone first thing Monday morning.

With luck and a bit of encouragement, perhaps he'll keep us apprised of his progress here at GC as the project unfolds. Won't spoil his plans, but let's just say he's got something pretty toneful and tasty in mind...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Muchas gracias - I kinda like it too... ;)

Since you're an SG guy and seem to have an appreciation for nice wood, here's a snap of my '68 SG Junior in the shop for a little spritz-up (nice one-piece body on this one):

·
Premium Member
179 Posts

Since you're an SG guy and seem to have an appreciation for nice wood, here's a snap of my '68 SG Junior in the shop for a little spritz-up (nice one-piece body on this one):

Wow! Nice chunk of hog alright. Please post a pic when its done. I LOVE '68 Juniors. The shape of the guard really pops on them. Who needs 2 pickups anyway?

·
Registered
4,280 Posts

Niceeeee! My '65 Jr. will be buried with me. Your taste in guitars is most excellent.

Re: Korina Jr. project, I will be enlisting the help of another forum member that's assembled several Strats for me over the years, and maybe Mike Spicer to set the neck. The only thing that's been decided on so far is Mike Turk humbucker(s?). Ozzer zen zat ve are shtill on ze fence about how ist ze best vay to complete zis projekt.

P.S. Thanks for the great deal, some good guitarma coming your way fo' sho'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
It may be cool to pop a single P90 and wraparound bridge in that body. Kinda like a single PU Firebird only sharper!

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
It may be cool to pop a single P90 and wraparound bridge in that body. Kinda like a single PU Firebird only sharper!
That would be pretty cool - or even with a mini - but the body is already routed for a single HB & traditional stop tail. And I already have some of those parts on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
25,869 Posts
I don't even know why someone would call that Explorer a "Junior". I mean, seriously, does any self-respecting player actually need a neck pickup on that thing? They should just call it an Explorer Proper.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts