The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walked into L&M last night just thinking I might get something from the used pedal bin, if anything struck my interest, but I got one glance at this and I was sold. Bonus that it feels good in my hands!!
2018 Gibson RD Artist 40th Anniversary

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,114 Posts
That's pretty. I always did have a softspot for solid HB covers. Does it include the expander and compressor as well?

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Nope - that's the reissue - just active preamp with EQ IIRC. Still cool.

Blame Dave Grohl for smashing so many of the original ones.... and Krist Novoselic for introducing him oto the model in the first place.

I didn't know they did a bare neck like that on the new ones (it looks stock due to the logos/decals still being there on rear of headstock; I like it)... or is this not the normal reissue but, I forget the dude's name , the Sig model but I thought the pups were different (or was that Epi? I don't even remember. ... Lee Malia, and yes Epi; so not that).

Reactions: Ti-Ron

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Congrats, i have a soft spot for theses RD’s and this one is beautifull!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it include the expander and compressor as well?
This 2018 reissue anniversary model doesn't have the built in Moog effects, instead it has active pickups 'designed' by Gibson called Gem. All of Gibson's active pickups are made by EMG... GEM - EMG...

I didn't know they did a bare neck like that on the new ones (it looks stock due to the logos/decals still being there on rear of headstock; I like it)... or is this not the normal reissue
Everything on this guitar is completely stock, as it is literally brand new. This guitar was in L&M in Pickering, from the Gibson factory, for only a couple hours before I showed up and decided it was a necessity. It's a 2018 reissue and 40th Anniversary model. The reissue model you're thinking of is either the Standard model from 2008 or 2012.

Congrats, i have a soft spot for theses RD’s and this one is beautifull!
Thanks!! I'm loving playing it.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Everything on this guitar is completely stock, as it is literally brand new. This guitar was in L&M in Pickering, from the Gibson factory, for only a couple hours before I showed up and decided it was a necessity. It's a 2018 reissue and 40th Anniversary model. The reissue model you're thinking of is either the Standard model from 2008 or 2012.
OH. I didn't know they were out yet (and I thought the previous reissue was also active for some reason and this year they were just adding the bass version - been waiting to see that drop as we'd seen leaked pics from a while ago now - last I heard they were still on preorder at sweetwater). Never thought to check L&M.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OH. I didn't know they were out yet (and I thought the previous reissue was also active for some reason and this year they were just adding the bass version - been waiting to see that drop as we'd seen leaked pics from a while ago now - last I heard they were still on preorder at sweetwater). Never thought to check L&M.
Well it is technically a 2018 model, even says it on the headstock, I guess they released them early. The guy in L&M who sold it to me said he had actually ordered last week after Gibson released them to be shipped in stores. I don't know how many are going where, but the reason why the store I went to had it was because the employee ordered it himself, admittedly in hopes of buying it for himself when he could afford it.. oooops!

Nice! What's the neck profile on these?
Online it just calls it a rounded neck profile..

·
Registered
662 Posts
That’s a beauty. I really love the look of that guitar. I wish I could say the same for the RD bass that Gibson is putting out this year; that bass looks like garbage and has basically lost all of the vibe of the original, and it’s priced higher than an original model.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
We need a dueling RD jam.

The new bass isn't that bad - it's just those large MM style pickups look totally out of place (and due to size you can't just swap in something ). Glad I have me '79. Also odd that theyare doing a tobacco burst for the guitar but not the bass (ebony and natural only). Other fans find the lack of maple board on the natural upsetting but I don't care for maple boards anyways so.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
We need a dueling RD jam.

It is weird how the Babicz bridge and more knobs with weird arrangement and what look like shitty knobs make it look so different, and yes, not as cool but these are minor things. The pickups look so wrong on this thing too looks like some TB+ might drop in nicely there tho and the Babicz can be swapped for a 3 point. Also just noticed it is not string thru. Some people have complained about lack of maple board on the natural model, but I never liked maple so whatever... lack of ebony on the ebony model is a disappointment but not a surprise. Also weird that they aren't doing a tobacco burst for the basses like with the guitars.

I think the price at Sweetwater is within $100 or so of used near-mint vintage ones on ebay though. They could have made it more attractive in comparison by reissuing the later 80s CMT version (the most desirable, which I have seen go for more than the new ones when in good shape) vs the originall 77 config.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts