The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a longstanding friendship with a fellow I met 10 years ago through the Heritage Owners Club.
He sells a lot of guitars, and nobody can fathom where he finds them all. I think he's got a private network of people who always keep their eyes open for him. He has made some stellar finds over the years, oddballs, one-offs, rare pieces.
And the occasional jewel. Like this PRS SE he recently posted. (Seller's pix.........)

Jeez, the thing looked perfect in his For Sale post. I've always been a sucker for a flame maple top, especially if it looks like it's bookmatched like this one does. So I made some arrangements, paid a visit to Michigan last weekend and came away with an extremely nice guitar. A PRS SE Zach Myers model, to be precise.
Before seeing the ad, I had never heard of Mr. Myers or his band, Shinedown. Their music is unique, to be sure, but quite a bit harder than what I care to listen to.

A while back, I had played a PRS SE Custom 24 model at my not-so-local L&M, and was very impressed with its build quality, playability, and value for money. And I already have a USA-made PRS, a mature CE24 from the early 90's, with which I have been very happy for many years.
My friend had done some significant upgrades to this SE: Gibson 500T in the bridge, Schaller Golden 50's in the neck, CTS 500K pots, Russian PIO caps, Switchcraft toggle, Schaller straplocks, Gator case.
How could I possibly resist?

But how does it play, you ask.
Have you ever sat down to try a guitar, noodled around for a minute or so, and said to yourself "MAN, this thing is really, REALLY nice"? That was my immediate reaction when I tried it out. So glad, as I had already committed to purchasing the thing, and had driven 4+ hours to get there. Not to mention having endured Michigan's moonscape freeways littered with seemingly endless streams of deceased deer, raccoons, and possums in various states of decay. Not to mention having endured a half a day of powershopping at a premium outlet mall on the way down with the beloved espoused. But I digress......

Mint condition it is, very pretty top, lightweight, expertly set up, with excellent action (3/64ths on both top and bottom E strings at the 12th). The replacement pickups sound dandy indeed. I have read (on the internet, of course, where nobody lies) that the original SC245 PU's were not the best sounding, so the replacements seem to be a worthwhile upgrade. It has a matte finish on the back of the neck that's very fast and comfortable.

I had anticipated this SE as being somehow inferior to a USA-made PRS, but that's absolutely not the case. If it didn't have 'SE' and 'Korea' marked on it, you would not be able to tell it's not a USA build. Outstanding workmanship.

But the thing that absolutely sold me on this PRS is how easy it is to play. Sure, the flat-as-pee-on-a-plate neck and low action certainly help, but it's a 24 1/2" scale neck, a size I had never before tried. My Heritages are 24 3/4", the Kirn and the Taylor are both 25 1/2", and the other PRS is 25". Quite a mixture. So I was a bit apprehensive about the SE's 24 1/2" length. Without cause, as it turns out. In fact, I found a huge benefit there...........the bothersome arthritis in my left hand has progressed to the point where my pinky is unable to stretch as far as it used to, and there are a few chord shapes that I simply can no longer play. To my amazement and great relief, the 24 1/2" scale is much, much easier to manage for me. Hard to believe that's possible from such a small difference in scale length, but that's my experience.
There's a song I'm working on that requires a Badd9 chord played like a bar chord at the 7th fret (7 9 11 7 7 7). That C# on the 11th fret of the D string is supposed to be played with the pinky, and on ALL of my other guitars, I just can't make the stretch. Too painful. On this PRS, no problem. Neck's only a tiny bit shorter, but it lets me play that chord. Magic.

I'm not a fan of plastic tuner buttons, so I may change to some locking, metal-button tuners down the road if I can find something that doesn't require drilling additional holes. This is not a guitar that I'd be afraid to modify, though. The tough stuff is already done. The thing is fantastic to play, and I don't have a ton of money in it.

So I'm very happy with this guitar.

·
Premium Member
17,302 Posts
Congrats on your beautiful new guitar.!!
Cool that you have developed such a long friendship with the seller.

on ALL of my other guitars, I just can't make the stretch. Too painful. On this PRS, no problem.
Wonderful to read how easy it is to play. Warms my heart...LOL

ENJOY!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Nice guitar! Love the flame

I think he personally is in to blues and started his career there before joining shinedown...
Great player though

·
Premium Member
16,787 Posts
Those guitars seem great and one day I will try one. The S2 semihollow has my eye.

Congrats on a wonderful instrument.

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
At first glance I noticed a very obvious problem with your new guitar. It's not hanging on my wall!

Beautiful find, Enjoy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts