The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 1965 Rickenbacker 450-6.
Wow...love at first sight. 100% a keeper and I don't say that lightly. I will soon be listing a plethora of guitars to pay for this bad boy.
I have owned and played probably a thousand guitars. Never even seen a Rick in person.
I always thought they were big and unwieldy....(Is that a word??).
This thing is so small and compact yet amazingly substantial.
I have been on such a Gibson craze lately, that they all sound the same to me.
This thing is like a Tele or Fender neck PUP on steroids.
I played it for 2 minutes and came up with a cool driving punk song!
I then read up on these and lo and behold, Johnny Ramone played one!
Its so cool how its very well played, tons of wear, yet its 100% original down to the funky tiny little strap buttons.
Just wanted to share.....its been a while since I had such a connection with a guitar.
Plus, its a 1965 and I was born in 1964 so we are almost the same age.

BEST NGD EVER!!!!

IMG_1550.JPG
IMG_1551.JPG
IMG_1553.JPG
5bb7f4cb82718abfa7f963a7e85d5343--joey-ramone-ramones.jpg

·
Registered
14,546 Posts
Cool.
I've played a few Ricks here & there--not quite my style--but they are cool guitars.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Wow, that's amazing! Congrats on the NGD. What's the neck profile like? I played a new one at L&M and it had a skinny neck, I'm wondering if the old ones are same.

PS. are you sure it's a keeper??? I think you might have said that before in other NGD posts! :) teasing.... !

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,101 Posts
I thought that we agreed that you weren't going to own nice things ;)

Reactions: Roryfan and jdto

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...its a keeper for now. I think the only way I would sell it is if a nice Junior came along. But they just don't come up for sale in Kanada.

·
Registered
24,336 Posts
I saw Moe Berg playing one of these in his old group Troc 59, back in Edmonton, 35 years ago. Great band, great guitar.

I have a pet theory that a lot of a guitar's tone can come from whether the bridge is closer to the waist (narrowest point) or the waist (widest point) of the guitar; the hip region providing greater mass and thus more bass. Often, joining the neck to the body waaaayyyyy up high, results in the bridge being moved up nearer the waist, as in the case of the SG. Rickenbacker addressed that by squishing their body shape, as they do for this model, such that they get the dual benefit of clear access to the whole neck, but keep the location of the bridge near the hips for a gutsier sound.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Isn’t this the usual situation, excitement for a week, something new comes along, posted for sale the next week?

Cool find, envious how you can trip over so many guitars.
If it was me, I would still have the thousand guitars.
Better you than me.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Rick's are cool! I used a 330 in a Clash/Bowie/Dead Boys/Goddo cover thing for a couple years back when... it was a solid guitar; way more rock than people generally give them credit for... I've owned 4 or 5 but found the necks a little broad for me in the end... congrats on the cool find...

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
Rick's are cool! Congrats on the find and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
What happened to cheap guitars only???

P.S. Far out axe man!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Cool guitar, that Ric. You're gonna see the merits of your Gibsons when you go to set the neck relief on the Ric tho' - just saying'... ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not only did Johnny Ramone have one (natural finish with a gold guard), but that guitar was bought by non other than Robin Zander of Cheap Trick in a Pawn Shop in about 1980 for $350 or something and has been one of his main guitars ever since. Also KJ from Chixdiggit has one very similar to the one you just got...and its fantastic. He's had it for about 25 years and has retired it from road use now, but he had on the road forever...Congrats, they are super cool!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts