The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Very cool. Whenever I see a Taylor for sale, I always wonder why you never see "vintage" Taylors for sale. I don't think i have ever seen one from the 70's or 80's for sale.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Great guitar !
The oldest Taylor I got is a 1995.
P.S. They began bolted neck production in 1996 and many guys prefer pre-bolted neck era...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great guitar !
The oldest Taylor I got is a 1995.
P.S. They began bolted neck production in 1996 and many guys prefer pre-bolted neck era...
Actually, Taylor have always used bolt on neck, from the early days. Earlier versions, the fingerboard was glued down in the traditional way but they've never used a glued in neck joint. They did redesign the bolt on in 1999 with the NT neck however.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Actually, Taylor have always used bolt on neck, from the early days. Earlier versions, the fingerboard was glued down in the traditional way but they've never used a glued in neck joint. They did redesign the bolt on in 1999 with the NT neck however.
I will have to make my search again...
I bought the 512 1995 even though action was correct but higher limit for me as I would adjust it all (truss rod, replace shaved bridge and reposition the neck if needed as I had it done on the GS-5 (2007). I then discovered there were not any nut under the sticker. So I made some search and learned the neck were glued and bolted neck appeared in 1996.
I hope you are right because it could save me some costly work...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will have to make my search again...
I bought the 512 1995 even though action was correct but higher limit for me as I would adjust it all (truss rod, replace shaved bridge and reposition the neck if needed as I had it done on the GS-5 (2007). I then discovered there were not any nut under the sticker. So I made some search and learned the neck were glued and bolted neck appeared in 1996.
I hope you are right because it could save me some costly work...
The 512 is definitely bolt on but the system would be different from the GS5 which has the NT neck design. The attachment is bolt on for both but different designs.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The 512 is definitely bolt on but the system would be different from the GS5 which has the NT neck design. The attachment is bolt on for both but different designs.
Well, infos found elsewhere confirm yours. Thanks for enlighting my mind about that.
My understanding was only partly right, and partly wrong, when I looked at the matter some years ago.
The 512 is a 1995 while the GS-5 is 2007, which explains why they have different neck joint tye.
So, a neck reset on the 1995 could be done without too much pain should I feel necessary to have it done.

Reactions: gtrguy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Very cool. Whenever I see a Taylor for sale, I always wonder why you never see "vintage" Taylors for sale. I don't think i have ever seen one from the 70's or 80's for sale.
People don't want to give them up.....won't sell mine and it's not vintage ........yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts