The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Healey's Hideaway became Grumpy's Guitar Shoppe for awhile this afternoon. Brandon turned 12, so we put out a bunch of guitars, told him a little about each one, and then told him to pick out his favorite.

That heart wants, what the heart wants.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks laristotle, & sulphur.

Big, "Thank You!", to Mrs. Dog for all her help (road trips) with our present.

But I hope it wasn't an ear thing. He's 12, and it was more a visual thing. (Size does matter?) I sold the Taylor Big Baby, and picked up the Baby, after he favored the Yamaha CG101MS, early on in the 'Brandon's first guitar' process. He gave size as the reason. I see kids (Youtube) wailing on dread's, at 4 & 5, but didn't want to dominate his early sensibilities. He got a panic-attack-look at the earlier sight of the 12 strings -- so they didn't make the show. I kept the Herb Ellis out of the mix, because there's just too many things he could take apart -- yep, he's a boy, and it's not versatile enough. Too heavy too. $2.
I didn't include the Larrivee OM ... um ... er ... because it's freakin' MINE! *#*(Just couldn't.

The Shoppe's available inventory

From l2r: 60's Stella, '78 D-35 Guild, '78 L series Yamaha, '84 K. Yairi,'79 FG-331 Yamaha, up 90's Yamaha CG101MS, down The Baby Taylor.

At the till

To promote customer loyalty, we threw in the Yamaha classical (some teachers insist), and a Univox Strat' clone. I made him a deal on an amp; "Play me something pretty, first, on an acoustic, and that little Marshal is yours. Right now it's a 'silent guitar' for practice, and lernon."

Turns out, the little creep's a piano player.

He blew me away! Brandon walked over to the piano and asserted himself. Didn't ask permission -- flipped the lid up -- & just started playing like it was the most natural thing in the world.

He got a little Casio (with headphones) for Xmas, and all on his own, he's playing two-handed pop(?) like a boss. Kids are building a new house, with a dedicated, sound-proof, music (teen?;)) room, and the Kemble Minx was for him anyways -- so he got that on his twelfth too. Really does seem to have a gifted ear, and musical abilities.

While I handed Brandon the available guitars, he didn't really take his eyes off his Baby -- it was love at first sight.

Just before he left, I told him, "I think you picked the perfect guitar, as your official first, and if you find you're really into guitar, don't second guess your decision -- I'll be there when you decide you might want a big guitar."

See? Even assholes slip up. On occasion. :cool:

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Even the dog looks pleased!

Reactions: Blind Dog
1 - 6 of 6 Posts