The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up this Greco Les Paul from Far East Guitars in Japan. I just love the look of plain tops. The colour is a kind of honey burst with a dark cherry back.

I'm not sure exactly what model it is since it doesn't have a serial number on it. I researched it before buying, and it seems like Greco did put out some guitars in the early 90s with no serial. They were either made in Korea by Cor-Tek (lower end) or in Japan at the Tokai factory (nicer).

If anyone is knowledgeable about Grecos, I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on what that guitar actually is.

Here's a couple of shots of the cavities and pickups. I'm not a Japanese guitar expert but the square routing holes and wiring channel appear to be typical of Tokai made guitars. I took a chance and ordered it on that basis since it was priced like a Korean one. As it turns out, it's a very nice LP. I'll never know if it's actually MIJ but who cares, it plays nice and looks the part :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
It wasn't uncommon for MIJ to have no serials. My buddy's edwards doesn't have one, as well as my other buddy's Greco.
That all said, what a nice looking guitar. congrats.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Gotta love that plain top burst.

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Wow you’re a lucky guy, that’s a very nice guitar.

Tokai made some Greco’s in 1989 and they’re the only Greco’s with square routes for the pickup legs so I’d say for sure that’s Tokai made. The wiring channel and round horn are also good indicators it’s a Tokai.

If the electrics are original, and to me it doesn’t look like the pups are, but if the pots are original the 3 character code on them would date the guitar and should read something like 9*K.

The digit 9 for 1989, the middle character (can be number or letter) would be for the month, the last character is a letter for type of pot (K = regular)

Lets have a look at the rest of the electrics and we’ll see what’s what with the age.

As far as the model goes, if it’s not a refret, then without the nibs it’ll be the lower model EG59-50 or whatever the equivalent lower end model (poly and no nibs) was for that year, by ‘89 that could have been a 60 model.

Looking forward to more pic's...

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
HNGD
That is a gorgeous top. I used to prefer like AAA flame, but now I find them to be gaudy. I much prefer plain or plain with just a little bit of flame or mineral deposits. I don't know what it is about MIJ tops, but I much prefer them to Gibby. more variation in colour

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I really like the top and the neck on your new git.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info Jimmy, very helpful! The electronics might not be original either; there is a sheet of clear plastic on the bottom that looks like a template for wiring? Unfortunately, all the pots have solder on them right on top of the markings. Here's a couple of pics of the control cavity with a close up of the pot with the most stuff visible:

In any case, here's another pic of the top for all of you plain top aficionados.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Looks like original pots and caps to me, 0_6_K is May 1990 (January starts at 0)

I've never seen a Tokai made Greco dated that late but the experts do say that some were made into 1990 so I'd say you're good - my best guess is it's a 1990 MIJ Tokai made for Greco.

If you post at MLP in "other single cuts" you'll find that's where the real Greco experts hang out.

Best of luck

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
That is one seriously sweet guitar - congrats.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Nice one! I know a fair amount about MIJ LP's but for some reason, not the swiftest on Grecos.

I might have to buy a couple :D

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
HNGD
That is a gorgeous top. I used to prefer like AAA flame, but now I find them to be gaudy. I much prefer plain or plain with just a little bit of flame or mineral deposits. I don't know what it is about MIJ tops, but I much prefer them to Gibby. more variation in colour
I agree with that 100%... and for that reason I'll always be thankful to member sulphur for the trade that brought me this '78 Greco EG900

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
I still think that is the nicest colour burst that I've seen.
A plain top is and alway will be my preference.

Glad that you bonded with that one, we're both happy campers. :)

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I still think that is the nicest colour burst that I've seen.
A plain top is and alway will be my preference.

Glad that you bonded with that one, we're both happy campers. :)
I think the best top is a plain top with a bit of flame that snuck through the assembly line. The back of my Epi Dot has just a little bit of fla me hiding in the burst like an optical illusion

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
I think the best top is a plain top with a bit of flame that snuck through the assembly line. The back of my Epi Dot has just a little bit of fla me hiding in the burst like an optical illusion
The R8 I got through Fred looks like a plain top straight on, then you move around and can see the "ghost flame". Pretty 3D,I like that!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Well....If either of these ever come up for grabs, I want to be the first to know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts