The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So out of the millions (Seems like it) of guitars I have owned, the number one I regret selling was a 1985 SG.

I sold it "Because I don't like black guitars". But I loved the pickups. They were Tim Shaw's. I think. Its tough to tell. But it was the best sounding guitar I have ever owned. It was nuts to sell it. But I stopped playing in a band and rarely turn on an amp.

So this one comes along, 1985 SG with the correct ink stamp on the pickups to indicate possibly maybe Tim Shaw's.
I haven't plugged it in to an amp yet, (My wife and kids scream and cry if I turn on an amp) but these pickups also have the "proper" ink stamp for Shaw pickups.

Its super light, plays great and I should keep it.

My question is this: Is this considered a re-issue? Or were all the standards from this year the same, it has all the features I like, it has the rosette, SG truss cover, and trapezoid inlays.
Cheers

Guitar String instrument String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments
Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments String instrument

·
Premium Member
4,952 Posts
I couldn't bond with my SG and sold it. Really didn't like the strap pin on the back. Looks like the same colour as yours but mine didn't have the trapezoid markers. Yours looks much nicer. Let us know how it sounds when you send the family out to the garage for 10 min.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
sold it "Because I don't like black guitars".
It ain’t black! Congrats bud.
After the whole “JR incident” I’m glad you have had a win.

My guess (yes, guess) is it’s one of the first 61/62 reissues .
Small pick guard?
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Nice score! That's a great looking SG. I've had a couple newer ones that I didn't hold onto. Both were mid 2000's with the large pick guard. I've always like the look of the Smaller guards better. Both standards I had weren't anything special but I really like the 61 reissues I've had the chance to briefly play. Does it have the slim taper neck? Mine both had a bigger neck. They weren't baseball bats but they didn't have much of a taper. That was another reason I didn't gel with the ones I had.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So its considered a '61 re-issue? The only thing "missing" is it doesn't have the little pointers on the knobs.
The neck is not slim. Destro describes it perfectly, not a baseball bat, but not much of a taper. I don't mind it at all. Not like my '63 Jr which is a baseball bat.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
995 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Isn't the toggle in the wrong place?

Edit: for a reissue, I mean. I've seen '80s SGs with the toggle up there before.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, my pickups do have the 373 stamp. But, other pickups had them as well. The only real way to tell is to measure the impedance. I'll give it a try tonight. I think I can measure from a plugged in cable?? I don't want to unsolder anything.
I think when these came out, they were just SG standards and I don't think they were called re-issues. But I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
There is a bit of difference, on mine, the inlays are trapezoid and the knobs are different. Are they still the same model? I wonder what Gibson called them?
You're right, I missed the inlay difference. The knobs could be down to a swap, or to some sort of change implemented partway through the year.

From Google searching (it's a slow Friday afternoon at work :)), I've seen images of 1985 SGs with both blocks and traps. The neck pickup does go right at the end of the fingerboard (ie. no spacer like on older and newer SGs) and they all have the side input jack. At the EverythingSG forum, posters claim the '62 Reissues started in 1986, but trapezoids started showing up on Standards in 1985 (and continued like that until the early '90s, when the Standards got the batwing pickguard again). Unlike what @Rozz stated, SG Standards have had both the small and batwing pickguards in the past.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I custom ordered mine in late '84 and it has a pup stamp date Jan '85.
They could have changed designs mid '85?
I wouldn't be surprised. It's not like the calendar would flip over and they'd toss out all the block inlays they had cut and start using trapezoids. They probably used up the blocks and then moved to the new spec of the traps sometime during the year. Henry took over in 1986, so that could be another explanation for the new "Reissue" line of SGs starting then (apparently 1986 was the first year for the "SG62" model).

It's tough to find geek-level information on spec details and stuff. The Les Paul seems to be a bit more heavily researched and documented than the SG on that front.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is funny as its not so much the black body, its the painted neck. I like natural necks, but painted or natural have pretty much the same final finish and feel. But painted necks "feel" sticky to me.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Unlike what @Rozz stated, SG Standards have had both the small and batwing pickguards in the past.
I did not know that. I stand corrected.

Reactions: jdto
1 - 20 of 21 Posts