The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Value Pillage today with not much expectancy and left with an Ibanez JEM 7V WH in my fevered grip. I was, and still am, in shock. Please don't ask for pix, they'd just be blurry, and these guitars all look the same, so you can see from a much-better-than-I-can-do in-focus online photo. And you'd be in shock, too, had you just scored one of these for $19.99 plus tax CAD. Aside from a few scuffs on the underside of the upper horn, it's immaculate. It has 'Overlords of Music' bridge, which I'd not heard of before. Is this stock equipment?
The inlay on the fretboard is gorgeous. I've never had a guitar with a monkey grip before, either.
I am a mass of welts from pinching myself!
Woo-hoo!

·
Registered
662 Posts
'Overlords of Music' bridge is a Chinese knock off. You might want to take a good look at the rest of the guitar.
Agreed. Those bridges are all over AliExpress. I think OP should have a look on AliExpress because there are a lot of JEM clones on there; I’m not saying it’s a fake, but I think you should look online to make absolutely sure. That “overlord of music” bridge is a big red flag. But either way, $20 for a playable jem style guitar is still really really good.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Really hard to find a good resource on how to spot a fake JEM, primarily because most of the posters used photobucket for pic samples which now don't show up. There is information out there if you look hard enough. I copied this from one of the sites.

Ibanez

So now, one of the most commonly faked guitar is the ibanez Jem, which is not a surprise. The Jem has had a great reputation, since the 80's, to be a fast, good looking shred guitar. It also has had a good reputation for being incredibly expensive.

There are many websites that are for Ibanez enthusiast, the main one being The Jemsite. Websites like these can help you identify your guitar to see if it is fake or not.

What's the best ways to tell if an Ibanez is fake?

Obviously, the first thing in determining a fake is the price. For example, a jem 7V is about $2500 new, finding one for about $400 is obviously a fake, please people, use your sense.

The best way (in my opinion) is to first find the model number, serial number, and get a good picture of the pickguard, tremolo, and headstock (front and back) of the EXACT guitar you are looking at. Remember, a dealer on ebay may be giving you different pictures than of the real guitar.

Now that you have these pictures, look up a picture of the real guitar, now compare these for some irregularities.

also, ask yourself these questions-

-If a Jem, does it have "team J craft" on the back?
-According to the ibanez websites/databases, does it have a different neck?
-does the inlays seem to be painted on?
-is the Edge/lo pro/etc. seem to be replaced with a floyd rose knock off?
-On a jem, are there only 9 screws holding the pickguard to the guitar? (not including pickup mounts)
-Does it have a block neck joint instead of a AANJ when your model should?
-Does the tremolo cavity seem to be recessed too deep/far back?
-If it's an Jem with a vine of life inlay, is it abalone instead of mother of pearl? (thanks Justice4AllOne)

if you answered yes to any of those questions, you may have a fake. That is just a few of the signs your guitar is a phony, if you cant decide for yourself, take it to an authorized dealer and get them to run the serial number and check it themselves.

So how similar are fakes?

Scarily similar, sometimes completely identical besides one or two "oddities.

now let's take a look at some fakes shall we?

Up first is a very good example of a fake!

next, is the real thing! beautiful, isnt it?

Now then, let's have a look at these and notice EVERY difference.

-The real Jem has a much nicer case (not pictured), the inside of the fake one looks like roadkill
-The real Jem has a true ibanez floyd, the fake has what looks like a LFR
-The real Jem has 6 screw on the back plate (not pictured), the fake has 4
-The FAKE Jem is missing the 10th screw on the lower horn of the pickguard
-The Fake Jem seems to have "team j craft" on the headstock
-The cover for the output jack on the fake ibanez has the screws in the wrong place

That is a just a few differences, if you look harder, you will see more.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
So if it’s a fake, flip it for a nice $380 profit.
I had nothing to do with the quote you referenced btw. Just pulled it from a thread on fakes from another site. I have no idea if a fake JEM is worth $400, certainly wouldn't be to me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alas, alas, after perusing these comments, it is apparent that it IS a fake. All is ashes in my mouth, and I wear sackcloth in penance. I am now back down safely and disappointed, on the ground. And also much chagrined. However, even though it is a fake, it is a beautiful fake, and for the price, I'm sure a luthier can make something good out of it. And my blood pressure is back to normal now.
Gnats! I thought a miracle had been wrought.....

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Alas, alas, after perusing these comments, it is apparent that it IS a fake. All is ashes in my mouth, and I wear sackcloth in penance. I am now back down safely and disappointed, on the ground. And also much chagrined. However, even though it is a fake, it is a beautiful fake, and for the price, I'm sure a luthier can make something good out of it. And my blood pressure is back to normal now.
Gnats! I thought a miracle had been wrought.....
Life really is "like a bowl of cherries" isn't it. No matter, as others have said, still a great deal. Enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.