The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had gone off Strats and wasn't really looking to buy one but ended up doing so today. Basically I had money in my bank account and felt like spending some of it!

Here is my new MIM Classic '60s Strat (the picture isn't great, but my camera is acting up and not recognizing batteries are fully charged so I had to snap it quickly):

I had been looking for another 2013 SG Standard (my current one is set up for slide) or '61 Reissue but there were none available that were in decent shape. While in my local L&M yesterday I checked out a NOS Classic '60s Lacquer Strat and really liked it. The guitar had a little shop wear and they wouldn't come down much on price so I didn't buy it. A friend who works there said he would work on getting the price down to about a grand (they retail for $1249) but, in the meantime, playing that thing inspired me to check Kijiji for Classic '60s Strats. I didn't find any lacquer ones but I did find an '02 that was available. The guy was asking $650ish but I talked him down a bit. By this morning sober second thought had me reconsidering, but he kept contacting me which indicated that he was a motivated seller and I talked him down to $500 so I went for it.

It could probably do with a fret dressing but there is no major rush. A good friend is the guitar tech at the store mentioned above and charges me next to nothing so I will take the Strat to him tomorrow to have him do a proper setup on it for me. Maybe he'll even deal with the frets while he has it. I should have it back by the end of the week. But in the meantime, I am going to tune it up and plug it into my JCM2000.

If I like it, I'll keep it. If not, I can try to trade it for a Classic '50s or Classic '60s Tele or sell it for a little profit.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
I wish i would have kept all my Classic 60's Teles and Strats. Good bang for the buck and good quality. Congrats.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish i would have kept all my Classic 60's Teles and Strats. Good bang for the buck and good quality. Congrats.

They are great guitars and I love the necks. When I built my Partscaster Tele I ordered a MIM Classic '60s Tele neck from Fender. I was ready to buy a Classic '60s but wanted a double-bound body so I bought a used Classic Vibe Custom Tele and used the body as the base for the build. But I knew all along which neck I wanted on there.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love my 3TSB Classic 60s. Plays amazing. They are probably the best deal out there for a guitar with Fender on the headstock.

I wanted the lacquer version of your guitar but got this one for less than half the price so went for it.

I played it a bit last night and it seems good. My only issue thus far is that, when playing sitting down with the guitar on my left leg, it tends to slide away from me a bit. But I was using the strap that I use on my Tele (no slipping with that guitar) so maybe if I buy a new strap and adjust it to be tighter, that will cure the slippage problem. When I take it into L&M to have my buddy set it up I will grab another strap.

It will take a bit of getting used to though as one of the reasons that I went off Strats is that I had changed how I hold my hand while picking and the volume knob kept getting in the way. It wasn't too bad last night, but I did find myself hitting it a few times so some more adjustment will be needed.

·
Premium Member
11,629 Posts
It will take a bit of getting used to though as one of the reasons that I went off Strats is that I had changed how I hold my hand while picking and the volume knob kept getting in the way. It wasn't too bad last night, but I did find myself hitting it a few times so some more adjustment will be needed.
Hard habit to break. My first electric was a Strat and I kinda got used to it. Then I got my Les Paul and only played it for a few years before I bought my '73 Strat and, WTF, this volume knob is right in the way. LOL

My last Strat, bought a year ago, had a very non-friction volume pot that I kept mis-adjusting. I'm on my volume pot all night, but that one had to be replace with one that didn't change when I breathed on it. I still think it's a bit in the way - until I watch Jeff Beck and realize I still don't know what the hell I'm doing. He is The Master with his volume and vibrato arm manipulations!!!

@Bubb Love that color. So cool.

Reactions: colchar

·
Premium Member
11,629 Posts
yeah ...Burgundy Mist, really cool finish,different lighting = different colours, pink,copper,purple and shades in between.

Just play like JB and you won't hit the volume knob .;)
Oh, I can - as long as JB is Jeb Buffoon and not Jeff Beck or Joe Bonamassa! And, BTW, Jeb also hits the volume knob all the time, so there!

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Nice, my first Strat/second guitar was a black/RW Squier (no idea if it was a JV). How fat is the neck on this one?

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice, my first Strat/second guitar was a black/RW Squier (no idea if it was a JV). How fat is the neck on this one?

Not very. I have a Classic '60s Tele neck on my Partscaster Tele and that one seems a little thicker than the neck on this Strat even though they come from the exact same series from Fender.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts