The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,034 Posts
Congrats! Did you get it at Best Buy? I saw one at the Coventry store, I was actually surprised to still see on in there.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's it Chito, it was so sad... :(

I looked it over with the manager, explaining that it needed a very thorough going over and set up and I offered him half off the clearance price. He accepted but made me buy some strings and a
karaoke microphone - what??? He discounted both of those items by half off too though.

It will need a super duper setup. It's definitely been sitting on the shelf for a long time since it's a 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,034 Posts
Wow that is a good deal. It's a great guitar, I actually like mine better than my tributes. What's up with the karaoke mic though, did he explain why you had to get it too?

·
Premium Member
5,034 Posts
Ahhh... Karaoke can be fun. Can be annoying too. LOL I have one setup in my living room and sometimes I get surprised by people who I never expect to like singing. And once you have them going, it's pretty hard to stop them. LOL

Anyway, congrats again on the new guitar.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Cool--enjoy!

Reactions: Lord-Humongous

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got the same guitar from Best Buy. Insanely good deal, I couldn't resist. They called it charcoal satin, mahogany body with maple top bla bla. I was interested in those "new improved P90's" and I can tell you there is a difference in brightness. Not huge, but is there. Other than that, they called cryogenically tempered frets for longer life and corrosion resistance (whaaaat ? they put them in the freezer ?). A satin chrome “lightning bar” wraparound tailpiece anchors it all down for outstanding resonance and sustain, but it makes the intonation almost impossible to be achieved at 100 %. One other think they said the pole pieces alnico magnets from the P90 are genuine...not all the alnico are genuine ?
However, despite the fact that Gibson didn't pay a flying rat about how their products are about to be stored (Best Buy doesn't have the proper humidity and climate inside) I found the fret ends sharp, I don't think they came like that from the factory, that it's sad. Clearly on the box is stated "Pure Gibson".
Overall, a good build with a nice and comfortable 50's style round neck perfectly fit for blues.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry, late to the party.
Congrats, I also got one about a month ago from BB. Got a good deal(not as good as you though) as it needed a setup badly plus the toggle switch was messed up (still haven't fixed it yet). They said they could send it back to Gibson but since it is a discounted model they had their doubts I would get another one.
Fantastic guitar, like it much more than my LPJR Special. I really hope they keep using those P90s in other guitars. This is the first Gibson I really bonded with.

·
Registered
90 Posts
P90's are awesome. I got a boost/ line driver from Custom Audio Electronics and use it just at 10 db... The sound is even brighter, you really squeeze everything from those P90's...

·
Premium Member
3,676 Posts
I've been playing my P-90 beasty today, have you noticed any grounding issues with the MM?
Could just be that I'm wearing polyester, wireless, carpets, winter, dry & that I personally run at 60 Hz.

Great deal on a great player btw.

·
Premium Member
3,676 Posts
Umm, like you are getting shocks? I haven't had that happen yet, been playing it a bunch too.
No, no shocks. But static crackling from the rear compartment (thru the amp) when I move my hand on it or shirt. Weird huh?

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
No, no shocks. But static crackling from the rear compartment (thru the amp) when I move my hand on it or shirt. Weird huh?

Open up that rear compartment and locate the ground. Make sure that it is well seated in the ground clamp on the pcb.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts