The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man this thing is cool. Made in Korea, quality is excellent. Level frets, solid construction and killer modelling. It's obviously not as good as the real thing but the models do sound great, maybe 80-85%. I'm having fun right now!!HNG^%$

Attachments

L

·
0 Posts
I have the Variax Standard.
And yeah, they are fun.
I only jammed with it once so far.
Bandmates found it very versatile.
I spent more time with it on the computer tweaking
stuff rather than actually playing it though. lol.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Variax Standard.
And yeah, they are fun.
I only jammed with it once so far.
Bandmates found it very versatile.
I spent more time with it on the computer tweaking
stuff rather than actually playing it though. lol.
I haven't even hooked it up yet. Sounds great the way it's set up stock.

P

·
0 Posts
I bought 2 original Variax guitars years ago. Lots of issues. Defective China garbage. I bought a James Tyler Variax when they came out. What a piece of sh1t. After 2 returns for repair in Canada, and a 3rd to the USA I was able to return it for a full refund. After that experience and the other bad L6 defective products I had the displeasure of owning and experiencing I have stopped buying L6 crap.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought 2 original Variax guitars years ago. Lots of issues. Defective China garbage. I bought a James Tyler Variax when they came out. What a piece of sh1t. After 2 returns for repair in Canada, and a 3rd to the USA I was able to return it for a full refund. After that experience and the other bad L6 defective products I had the displeasure of owning and experiencing I have stopped buying L6 crap.
Lol. Tell us how you really feel. That's unfortunate for you and I'm sure L6 is very sad not to have you as a customer anymore. Kind of sucks that absolutely every L6 product you had was defective, guess I've been lucky. This JTV kicks all sorts of ass and so does the Helix.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
In March I bought a JTV59 from L&M, used, $799. I thought it sounded fantastic. For about 2 hours. I took it in, they said it was a bad battery. Waited 2 weeks for a replacement. It wasn't the battery.
They had to ship it to L&M Toronto for repair. Turns out it's a bad circuit board. It's still sitting there, waiting for the part. With NO ETA on it.
So I had them refund it. I thought 2 1/2 months was long enough to own a guitar I never got to play.

It should be showing back up at an L&M somewhere, when it finally gets repaired. It was pretty, fit and finish was excellent. And at that point it will probably be good.

But I'm not willing to have a product that may have issues when the factory seems to have such crappy support.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
In March I bought a JTV59 from L&M, used, $799. I thought it sounded fantastic. For about 2 hours. I took it in, they said it was a bad battery. Waited 2 weeks for a replacement. It wasn't the battery.
They had to ship it to L&M Toronto for repair. Turns out it's a bad circuit board. It's still sitting there, waiting for the part. With NO ETA on it.
So I had them refund it. I thought 2 1/2 months was long enough to own a guitar I never got to play.

It should be showing back up at an L&M somewhere, when it finally gets repaired. It was pretty, fit and finish was excellent. And at that point it will probably be good.

But I'm not willing to have a product that may have issues when the factory seems to have such crappy support.
I've certainly heard lots of stories about the Variax as well, which is part of the reason I haven't gone for one.

However, in a Helix group I'm in, there are constant posts by people with issues. There are at least one or two a week. Sometimes it's user error, sometimes it's just dissatisfaction and sometimes it's legit issues that need service. Even though the posts make it seems like there are constant issues, in reality there are thousands of people in the group who are happily using their Helix with no issues that don't post "Hey everything's good!" So yeah, I figure for every bad thing you hear about a product, there are probably countless stories about satisfied users/customers that you don't hear.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There will always be sour people about a certain brand. I haven't had it very long but it's amazing so far.

P

·
0 Posts
There will always be sour people about a certain brand. I haven't had it very long but it's amazing so far.
Likewise there will always be sour brands that disappoint otherwise happy people. For me, that sour brand is L6. They reel me in with really cool technology, but their mass cheap China production is terrible. Almost everything I have bought from them has stopped working or become glitchy, while other brand work flawlessly year after year.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Congratulations, I played for years with a Variax and it was a great guitar!
One word of caution, be gentle with the saddles during string changes, if you break one string in the middle of a song don't keep playing or you will break the cable going to the piezo.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Big fan of my JTV-69 here... design, fit and finish are all stellar for the price... It interfaces beautifully with my Helix, and it's hella fun!!

Shit happens with tech - no doubt about it, there's always going to be someone having a problem of some kind... I've been playing Line 6 hardware for over ten years in real-world bar gig environments, and I've never had a problem with their gear that wasn't sorted properly in a timely fashion...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts