The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fun thread title is fun!

'62 American Vintage Reissue jazzmaster in 3-tone sunburst, less a neck plate with serial or G&G tweed case. How? It's from AVRI parts from a former Fender employee! AVRI neck, body and pickups. A mustang bridge swap and a disabled rhythm circuit (switch is now a killswitch) to complete the partscaster vibe. I was told the neck pickup is dead, bought a vineham replacement, neck pickup makes sound. Investigating that tonight (sounds good but need to isolate and fix a hum). My friend who sold it to me also wired using 250k pots - I did not know jm's are usually 1000k!

I sold my aerodyne to snag this (and got a mexi P to cover that) and overall I think it was a good plan.

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Very nice guitar! How do you verify what it's claimed to be before buying? Pictures of the neck off the body, neck pocket, pickguard off etc? Or you bought it from someone you know well and trust?

·
Premium Member
18,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice guitar! How do you verify what it's claimed to be before buying? Pictures of the neck off the body, neck pocket, pickguard off etc? Or you bought it from someone you know well and trust?
Both - he sent pics of the parts before it was assembled, and we have rapport from prior dealings (he built me a mim hss strat, which I miss). My only as-stock FMIC jazzmaster is my squier baritone haha.

·
Premium Member
18,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats...I've been really tempted to pickup a Jazzmaster lately. Hoping to find a cheap Squier vintage modified one of these days and then upgrade the bridge to a mastery. :)
I think @Merlin had one for sale? The mastery will cost about $100 less than the guitar lol.

·
Premium Member
18,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What does a JM do that other fenders don’t? I’ve never owned one. I don’t see any jazz players use them. Are they mid range. Tone wise? Good looking axe!
A different kind of singlecoil tone. Not that any of them are fender fenders but i can make a strat/tele/jm clip at some point.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A different kind of singlecoil tone. Not that any of them are fender fenders but i can make a strat/tele/jm clip at some point.
Agreed...I realized this after buying a J Mascis Jazzmaster which is pretty much a P90 guitar with vintage jazzmaster switching. Definitely want to get a Jazzmaster with typical JM single coils for that "jangle" tone along with all the other quirks that come with it. It's such a different guitar than anything else I own...

·
Premium Member
18,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agreed...I realized this after buying a J Mascis Jazzmaster which is pretty much a P90 guitar with vintage jazzmaster switching. Definitely want to get a Jazzmaster with typical JM single coils for that "jangle" tone along with all the other quirks that come with it. It's such a different guitar than anything else I own...
This one is a little janglier than the one I converted to hardtail.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
My 72 Greco Strat uses 1M ohm pots. Not sure why but it sounds amazing with the Maxon Silver Excel pups.

Reactions: tonewoody and Budda

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
What does a JM do that other fenders don’t? I’ve never owned one. I don’t see any jazz players use them. Are they mid range. Tone wise? Good looking axe!
A Jazzmaster is not for Jazz. Jazz and master are just cool words that when used in conjunction make you feel like you are a God.

What does the Jazzmaster do?
Well, it’s a Telecaster in terms of neck / middle / bridge ability, with the addition of a Switch that enables a dark circuit with its own independent volume roller knob which in reality, blows.. But sometimes it just feels nice to have it and know that you can use it.. It makes you feel like James Bond having, but choosing to never use the tranquilizer setting on a sniper rifle..

In terms of how it feels when you play it, Its similar to a hollow body feeling guitar in terms of the break angle and tension of strings. It has a very elegant and loose but satisfying feel.

The pickups… the neck pickup is definitely the best pickup I have ever experienced in a guitar.. the instrument itself is a very brutal tool, but in a beautiful way. Playing it makes you feel like you are killing a unicorn with a bow and arrow while standing out the roof of a convertible Jaguar being operated by Halle Berry. You have no fookin idea how, but it just feels right…

The trem.. the trem is like a self detonation device for your intonation.. you use it and immediately have to retune.. (nooo!! You can get a $378 mastery bridge and a roller nut and locking tuners and it only happens once every 15 minutes instead of every time!!!.. no.. that’s bullshit… it is an inferior design if you are using a trem in the way that God intended and that is to operate it hard and without remorse) but using it even once is so beautiful that it wouldn’t matter if you had a taser attached to your balls that was activated upon each use:. Because with all of its flaws.. (weight, impossible dimensions in terms of never being able to lean it against a couch without it falling and it’s uncomfortable height and it’s pick guard that you have to rub a bounce sheet on to remove the static).. it is one of the greatest instruments in terms of sound and feel that you will ever experience.

·
Registered
588 Posts
That is what some said about the Telecaster.
Agreed with @greco If Joe Pass played it then it's for jazz. Leo missed the matk in terms of making a solid body with single coils but it's damn near perfect to play sitting down. I'm also one of 6 people in the known universe that likes the rhythm circuit (the jazziest part) too lol. That being said, if the rhythm circuit isn't your bag then @Budda 's solution of turning into a kill switch is rad to the nth degree!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts