The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up a Taylor GS Mini Mahogany to play around with it I thought it sound okay, but not great/ Then I tried the unobtainium model, the 322e. Sounded a bit better, but not as good as the last time? I was using light Alligator pick. Pulled out my usual Dunlop Jazz III XL. What a difference! At least 80% of my playing is with a pick. So I played the GS Mini with that pick and, yes, What A Difference! I walked home this (stock picture, close enough)

They replaced the strings with my gauge, Elixir 11-52 80/20 bronze. Now it is even more playable for me. Last day of Monster Days so, I put down half down and financed the rest at 0% for 6 months.

I can take my time saving over the next year or two, and enjoy this one, I like my small bodied guitars. (I have a Gibson SG on the electric side)

·
Premium Member
17,144 Posts
CONGRATS!

Wonderful that you discovered how much of a difference your pick made/makes.

What guitars and amps do you have now?

ENJOY the new Taylor!

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
So should we call you picky, picky, picky from now on?:D

That looks nice, Enjoy your nice pick........................of guitars.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So should we call you picky, picky, picky from now on?:D
That looks nice, Enjoy your nice pick........................of guitars.
Groan and double groan. ;)

Reactions: Steadfastly

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am really liking this little guitar. I am just beginning to tell the difference (And I say just beginning) to tell the difference between the Taylor sound and the Martin sound. I, sort of, have a feel for the Gibson sound too. There is this, chime(?), to Taylor. It is subtle but noticeable. I slightly prefer the Taylor over the Martin. And then there is the neck. Taylor is a bit more modern, again, a slight preference for the Taylor. Just my preference. I know Martin ultra purists would consider me a heretic/infidel, but hey... The thing is, I do notice, even if it just a bit, the "Taylor sound" in this low end little guitar. I like it. (The Dunlop Jazz III XL helps a little)

Edit: I may the most mediocre, slow learning player around with "weak puny little girly man hands" but my ears are good.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I am really liking this little guitar. I am just beginning to tell the difference (And I say just beginning) to tell the difference between the Taylor sound and the Martin sound. I, sort of, have a feel for the Gibson sound too. There is this, chime(?), to Taylor. It is subtle but noticeable. I slightly prefer the Taylor over the Martin. And then there is the neck. Taylor is a bit more modern, again, a slight preference for the Taylor. Just my preference. I know Martin ultra purists would consider me a heretic/infidel, but hey... The thing is, I do notice, even if it just a bit, the "Taylor sound" in this low end little guitar. I like it. (The Dunlop Jazz III XL helps a little)

Edit: I may the most mediocre, slow learning player around with "weak puny little girly man hands" but my ears are good.
Although I haven't bought a Taylor (yet), I prefer certain models of Taylor over many of the Martins and Gibsons I tried (for shits and giggles since I cannot afford that price for what I use the Acoustic for). Love the tone of a lot of the Taylors. Make sure to play it hard and work it in! Glad you found the pick that's suited to the guitar. I find even with electric I use a couple of different thickness's but same material for specific sounds. Picks make a huge difference in many cases. Very under rated devices

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Groan and double groan. ;)
Actually, I am a bit jealous. My selection of picks is very limited as my first criteria for choosing a pick is one that will not slip out of my sweaty hands. That limits me to not a very wide choice. I'm glad you found one that gives you the sound you like.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I've tried about 20 styles and materials of picks and it is amazing how much of a difference in tone they make as well. I have everything from tortex to Delrin to acetate and they all sound a bit different

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Yesterday I picked up my acoustic and thought I would try a thin pick with it as I have read good things here. I was quite pleasantly surprised.
Now I wouldn't want to use it for all facets of playing as I find thin picks quite sloppy for intricate picking, but for strumming I thought it had a great effect.
Usually use a 1.2-.3ish.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried a gray light nylon pick for light strumming and it sound much better than the thin alligator pick

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
I'm much relived that I no longer have to go out and buy a 300 series Taylor just to keep up to you. :cool:

I do still need to buy a Taylor though......this whole thing you've been going through got me watching YouTube's about Taylor, and how they are built, the philosophy, the way he runs things, where the wood comes from, etc, etc. I NEED one, and it's all your fault. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Best review on this guitar yet....

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
8,452 Posts
Yeah, I just sold mine 2 days ago. Exactly like that one. I'll regret it for sure.

It's my favourite acoustic I've ever own and played. You can do full bends easily with the right set-up.

Pick/no pick/fingers/thumbs...whatever, - it always sounded good to me.

·
Premium Member
11,616 Posts
Yeah, I just sold mine 2 days ago. Exactly like that one. I'll regret it for sure.

It's my favourite acoustic I've ever own and played. You can do full bends easily with the right set-up.

Pick/no pick/fingers/thumbs...whatever, - it always sounded good to me.
So I'm curious, why did you sell it? Just regular old gear churn? They aren't that expensive so you probably didn't have a ton of loot tied up in it.

·
Premium Member
8,452 Posts
So I'm curious, why did you sell it? Just regular old gear churn? They aren't that expensive so you probably didn't have a ton of loot tied up in it.
A couple of reasons. Mainly, my wife's 5 figure surprise visa bill. Thing is it got paid off with a couple of days of selling, so I was a bit bummed that I sold it. I'm pretty sure I would have sold it anyway, since I've worn down the frets significantly and wouldn't mind a new one.

I got it in a trade with it valued at about $400 and I got $460 for it within minutes.

Another reason is that I don't play it often unless it's out - which it hasn't been.

I also have the Taylor Baby that satisfies the acoustic urge.

The bottom line is that this acoustic kills...not only in its class, but across the board.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really feel that Taylor designed guitar for me (And I ain't no small guy either)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts