The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NGD x3 (or... Will just wanted to fit in with the wicked new guitar day threads being posted lately).

These are all guitars I've picked up in the last month or so, but haven't posted them on the forum:

First up is an '08 PRS DGT in cherryburst. Since selling my '93 Custom 24, I had been looking for a suitable backup to my #1 ('12 PRS DGT goldtop) on a fairly low-key search. I actually had been shown this guitar by my buddy Fred, but I forgot about the listing until I saw the same guitar over on Rig-Talk. I negotiated a deal with Ryan (Rpurdue; great seller, btw) and bought the guitar sans pickups. The very same day, I spoke to my buddy Chris (Studio66 here on the forum) who had a set of early 57/08s for sale. I grabbed those, and soon I had a backup in my hands. It's a very cool guitar. The 57/08s are enough of a contrast to the stock DGT pickups that I enjoy them both, although the stock pickups' split tone is miles ahead of the 57s, IMHO.

Next up is an '09 Charvel San Dimas USA wildcard. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a sucker for these first-issue USA Charvels. I wasn't even really looking for another guitar, but I walked into my local Long and McQuade on a day off (yeah, yeah, I know!) and saw this on the rack for a very fair price; the rest is history. It's all stock aside from the pickup, which is a custom Chris Carter wind (Sounds of Sin is his company) called the EVP. I talked to my buddy who owned this guitar before me, and he told me it was about a 9k wind with an A2 mag and different gauge wire on each coil. I've had three of these USA models in the past, and by far and away this one is the best sounding one I've come across. I'll likely end up selling my '87 Kramer Baretta down the line, as I prefer this to the Kramer tonally. My pics are absolutely appalling, but the colour is Fiesta Red.

Finally, we come to the '11 Gibson SG Jr, pictured on the right. I was in Newfoundland recently visiting some family and picked this up on a whim off a local Kijiji ad. The seller was a very cool guy, and the guitar didn't have a mark on it. The weight is shockingly light (about 4.7lbs on my scale) and it's an incredibly fast guitar. I'm a sucker for P90s, and since selling my '87 LP Jr and '05 DC Special Faded a few months back, I needed something to scratch the itch for a classic P90 sound. It has a baked maple board which is interesting, but otherwise, the specs are pretty true to a classic SG. I had a great SG Classic that got lost in trading neverland a few years ago, so this is a fitting replacement.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming... :cool:

W.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Very nice!

Yes, some cool NGD threads lately.
I got a few beauties myself recently, I'll have to take some pics.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Good variety in that collection! A 9K A2 pickup, can we get some clips?

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good variety in that collection! A 9K A2 pickup, can we get some clips?
Thanks, man. Appreciate it! I'll try to record some clips at some point. It's got a really great EVH type sound to it.

W.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
Best guitar I've ever owned, man. I wouldn't be able to part with it at this point; it's seen me through so many memories now.

W.
I can vouch for that, I have seen this man discard.... or sell to me.... many guitars :) As they say, it must be love! Haha

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Man, that SG is a beautiful thing. Congrats, those are three wicked guitars.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can vouch for that, I have seen this man discard.... or sell to me.... many guitars :) As they say, it must be love! Haha
This is true. Jeez, Fred... how many guitars have gone through our hands back and forth now?

Man, that SG is a beautiful thing. Congrats, those are three wicked guitars.
Thanks! It's a really sweet guitar; I'm not normally an SG fan, but I like them when they're light and don't have a huge neck.

W.

·
Administrator
17,306 Posts
Love the DGT. Unfortunately for me it's the only PRS neck I don't get along with. I love everything else and they are the best PRS pups by far.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Love the DGT. Unfortunately for me it's the only PRS neck I don't get along with. I love everything else and they are the best PRS pups by far.
Yeah, I am fussy about PRS neck profile, but I find the DGT to be my favourite design. That, or a Wide-Fat is really ideal for me. Neither profile is massive, but they both have enough substance to be reasonable for me. I've had a few Regular carve necks that were nice, although they were both on 24 fret guitars, which isn't as much my thing these days.

W.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
I've only held one DGT and it was a client of my teacher's, so I didn't get to give it a test. I'd love to try one out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts