The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I got myself a new killer guitar today on a trade. I traded my Korean Peavey Wolfgang Special for this 90s Black Ibanez RG 520. These had 2 humbuckers instead of the HSH setup on the RG 550. It’s in great shape only one little mark on the back top edge on the curve where the top cut is. It plays amazing I must say I’m really impressed with it! Got it in a square trade today. I haven’t had the extra money to become a premium member yet unfortunately:( so I can’t upload pics and I don’t know if this link I’m gonna try posting will come up. Let me know what you guys think! I’m mostly a fender guy and a bit of a Gibson guy but I always liked the feel of ibanezs. Hope you guys like it!
60-C84-CFC-800-D-4-A1-E-8774-EFAB267-D5-C65
E153-E953-F664-4-F2-A-B8-C3-9327-BC869-F71
CA318-C2-D-88-CE-4-B8-D-8-EDC-CF0730955-C31
523-CCE46-74-BA-4-F1-A-9-DD4-8-C23-A7764893
38145764-AE39-4-ACC-9-E23-1-B04-E0-F36-E50
4-DE805-C3-2809-452-F-BC6-A-BBD678-A36-DE5

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I was tempted to grab that one myself but I've already got a couple of MIJ RGs so I really couldn't justify it.

To turn those links into pictures you just use the direct link to the jpg by clicking on the image icon when creating your post (looks like a mountain range viewed through a window) and paste the link there-

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks! I thought I had to be a premium member for pics.. not that it changes my mind any though cause I love this site! Lol thanks for uploading the pic of it for me to... it’s a killer guitar especially the condition for 20 years or so! I beleive it was the late 90s around 98 that they did these.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
The Pewter grey RG520 was only made in '98 if memory serves me correctly. I think the RG520QS was made for three or four years ('98 to '00 or '01). My friend bought the 520QS in 1999 and it was a nice playing guitar... congrats on the NGD.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,796 Posts
I had an RG something or other for a few years that looked a lot like that. I wasn’t nuts about the pick ups, but the locking trem was bulletproof stable and the neck was the fastest I’ve ever had.

As I recall, it also had nifty auto-coil tapping via the pick up selector switch.

Edit:

Just looked it up. Mine was an RG1570 Prestige.

You get a lot of guitar for the money in my opinion.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I love the comments. I am debateing on putting new pickups in it eventually, something with a higher output but can still be nice and versatile. I was thinking maybe looking at some DiMarzios since my usual go to is Seymour Duncan.. if any of yas have some opinions I’d love to hear them!

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
The Ibanez F1, F2 and F4 are nice pickups; they were made by Dimarzio. I have them in various combos in my 540S, 770 DXVM and in a RG750. In my other RG's I have a set of Evo's in my 1570 that are fantastic, and a tone zone, blue velvet, air norton combo in my J-Custom. I just picked up a set of the new Petrucci Sonic Ecstasy's and loaded them into a EBMM JP6. They are pricy and some people might not like the look of the NOMAC covers but they my favourite pickups I have in any of my guitars right now.

I've always found the tone zone, steve's special and air Norton pair well with the RG's basswood body. Plus they are versatile enough for a broad range of musical styles.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I had an RG 500 series in the early 90’s until it was stolen from our house. Ever since then I’ve fallen into rabbit holes of better and more expensive guitars and I damn the thieves to an eternity of hell for forcing into my own eternity of hell. Man, I loved that guitar :cool:

·
Premium Member
17,160 Posts
If you can find one in nice shape. A lot of them have neck cracks and chunks out of the finish.
Its 25-30 years old, some wear is expected. Seems easy enough to find one without neck issues, from the posts i've seen.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I lucked out with the shape of mine. Especially neck wise! I heard the same that a lot of them today have cracks around the back of the headstock where the nut is. They don’t come up often where I live either and seen them go for up towards 800ish sometimes depending on condition. They seem to have their own little cult following lol

Reactions: Distortion
1 - 20 of 20 Posts