The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having never owned an Ibanez before or a Floyd Rose-like tremolo system, I thought I'd give this 2011 S970 a try. It arrived undamaged and well packaged as you can see. I've tuned it up and played it a little bit. Having some trouble keeping the high e from sliding off the frets at times.

Is the closeness of the high e string to the fretboard edge normal for these machines? All my other guitars are several millimeters farther away and the low and high e's are equally distant from the edge.

Nicely packaged, thank you Janzen Brothers Music Co.
IMG_3665.jpg

Weird high e string placement maybe?
IMG_3666.jpg

And a shot from a bit further out.
IMG_3667.jpg

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Love that finish! Enjoy your lovely (and lively) find.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Beautiful!!
As soon as I saw it, I immediately thought of French walnut burl cabinets.

ENJOY!
Exquisite but the Ibanez likely has a bit more sustain.:D

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, thanks for the comments but any thoughts on the high e? I've played it a bit more since the post and haven't had any issues with the high e sliding off but it's something I was paying attention to. Going to back to the Stratocaster last night was like moving from holding a svelte, thin dancer to a heavily muscled brute. Strats mean business.

·
Registered
127 Posts
to the naked eye the spacing between strings is off, especially the high e, I held up a engineers rule to the screen of my tablet! plus it looks off the pole,
a little tweaking needed,
as a woodworker, in Ottawa, the walnut burl is beauty!

·
Premium Member
17,826 Posts
Reminds me, I need to come back and visit. When are the Pink Floyd tribute guys/gals playing next?
I'm not sure when The Crazy Diamonds (Pink Floyd tribute) will be playing next. Lo-Fi Mind might have something scheduled son. I don't use FB..but I suspect there is information about their schedule(s) on it.

You might want to plan to come to our Blues festival. It is free and very impressive.

·
Administrator
16,704 Posts
I had a similar issue on my SG but a new nut solved the problem. My tech just moved the high E nut slot inboard very slightly, the original was cut incorrectly. Also possible to move the neck a little if it's a bolt on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
From the pictures, it looks to me like your high E saddle is sitting a little crooked with the back of the saddle piece being further away. Perhaps that could add a few mm of unwanted distance. It looks like the spacing is a bit better near the nut?

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to the naked eye the spacing between strings is off, especially the high e, I held up a engineers rule to the screen of my tablet! plus it looks off the pole,
a little tweaking needed,
as a woodworker, in Ottawa, the walnut burl is beauty!
I don't think there's a way to tweak it. The bridge can't be moved left and the string is centered in the saddle. I don't want to shim the neck as that would require sanding and a shim on the low e side. Can't move the nut as it's not the problem. The whole neck would have to move. But, been playing it much more and it's not giving me any problems atm.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure when The Crazy Diamonds (Pink Floyd tribute) will be playing next. Lo-Fi Mind might have something scheduled son. I don't use FB..but I suspect there is information about their schedule(s) on it.

You might want to plan to come to our Blues festival. It is free and very impressive.
Send linky plz

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a similar issue on my SG but a new nut solved the problem. My tech just moved the high E nut slot inboard very slightly, the original was cut incorrectly. Also possible to move the neck a little if it's a bolt on.
Hmm, the nut is a locking type. I'll look the nut and saddle over this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From the pictures, it looks to me like your high E saddle is sitting a little crooked with the back of the saddle piece being further away. Perhaps that could add a few mm of unwanted distance. It looks like the spacing is a bit better near the nut?
It's pretty much the same the entire length of the fretboard.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Is that the original bridge? It really does look "off" and specifically the one string (the high E).

Might be worth disassembling the bridge and cleaning the bits an pieces. Maybe that high E saddle is not installed correctly.

That Seymour Duncan is clearly not original, and it doesn't look like it's got the right pole spacing for a trem. Looks like a 49-50mm pickup when it ought to be closer to 53mm for this application.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
You may be able to correct it by loosening the neck bolts and see if there's movement.

I did this on a guitar that I had and it worked out well. You just need an incremental bit of play.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Watched a Sweetwater video on this guitar and it's setup the same way. Must be a deliberate design choice for this model. However, if I can tweak it a bit I will. I'll bring it to band practice today and see how it holds up. The thing sure stays in tune with that double locking system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts