The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Cosmo about 10 days ago going through all of their strat style guitars looking for the 'one'. I tried a bunch of suhr, anderson, fender CS, and a couple of others, but the one that stood out as the best playing was an Ibanez AZ2204.

It had an ugly trans top, so I ordered an Ice Mist one.

It is an incredible PLAYING guitar. It FEELS fantastic. That's most important to me - everything else I can work on.

The pick-ups do not hold out under high gain conditions. My OX4 PAFs have more clarity which surprised me.

That my only issue - it's a big one, but the guitar is so much better than any of the others I played that it doesn't matter.

This is my #2 lifer. The only reason it would go is if I came across a vintage 76' strat that out played it (not likely).

Question: do you think it would look good with a nickel HB at the bridge? I'm sure I can find a pic somewhere, but thought I'd ask.

Enjoy the clip - those older microcubes out-tone so many goddamn amp it ain't funny. Ignore the copious trem (it's been a while - and this one is a great one).

·
Registered
569 Posts
My buddy tried that exact model here at L&M when we were there over lunch one day. He was trying some Jems and some EVH guitars. He never even picked this one up until I handed it to him and he said it blew the rest right out of the water.

Congrats! (I still don't have a guitar with that stick shifter thingy.)

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congratulations, dude! I spent a lot of time to find the guitar that would be exactly what I need. I can remember B.C.Rich, Fender, Jackson (cheap models). But everytime I've played any of them - everytime it was like a feeling that something is not perfect. The pure perfection for me became Ibanez S520 for now. Here is it Brilliant of Japan: Ibanez S520 Review – Light and Universal. And I think I won't change it for years. And I'm starting to think that I need one more Ibanez guitar, maybe 7-strings. As far as I know - Ibanez is the best instead of opponents, am I right?

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you find it to be neck light?
I tried on at a guitar center in Arizona last June, fully expecting I would want to get one, and I found while it was nice, and played reasonably well, the neck felt oddly way to light. I'm not sure if it was as one off, I'm assuming it probably was.
I haven't noticed it being light, so I don't think so. My guitar strap holds it in place like glue, so I don't find myself in a position where it would matter to me.

I just got a comment on reddit saying that the pick-ups retain clarity when doing the high gain thing (not my experience at all). I will have to try it through my wizard, since I've only put it through my SLO.

I was also told that with a good set-up and some bridge work, the tuning stability will be perfect. Mine plays amazingly well, but the one at cosmo feels better. That one plays like a james tyler and mine does not (still outplayed the other guitars though). Hopefully the bridge work will take it to the next level.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congratulations, dude! I spent a lot of time to find the guitar that would be exactly what I need. I can remember B.C.Rich, Fender, Jackson (cheap models). But everytime I've played any of them - everytime it was like a feeling that something is not perfect. The pure perfection for me became Ibanez S520 for now. Here is it Brilliant of Japan: Ibanez S520 Review – Light and Universal. And I think I won't change it for years. And I'm starting to think that I need one more Ibanez guitar, maybe 7-strings. As far as I know - Ibanez is the best instead of opponents, am I right?
Well, I would have to say that for me, Ibanez's AZ series is the best, imo. I generally don't care for Ibanez guitars.

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
I haven't noticed it being light, so I don't think so. My guitar strap holds it in place like glue, so I don't find myself in a position where it would matter to me.

I just got a comment on reddit saying that the pick-ups retain clarity when doing the high gain thing (not my experience at all). I will have to try it through my wizard, since I've only put it through my SLO.

I was also told that with a good set-up and some bridge work, the tuning stability will be perfect. Mine plays amazingly well, but the one at cosmo feels better. That one plays like a james tyler and mine does not (still outplayed the other guitars though). Hopefully the bridge work will take it to the next level.
I must say I liked the neck shape and size, but it fell almost like it wasn't wood.
pick ups are an easy fix if you find a guitar you love!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.