The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hobby of picking up guitars, giving them a set up (best way to learn/teach myself), give them a thorough cleaning and restring them and then sell them for a modest profit and then do it all over again. This one wasn't supposed to be any different.....

I recently picked up a Hohner HG12 twelve string acoustic guitar. It is in very good shape. Very clean with only a few tiny marks on the back and one very small mark on the headstock. The neck is a big ol' baseball bat but is still very playable (I've been playing a Les Paul with a 50's neck for over 20yrs now so I'm pretty used to big necks). The action is spot on and it actually sounds nice which I did not expect given what I paid for it!

I've always avoided 12 strings as they seemed like such a cliche, every guitar player seems to buy one sooner or later, kind of like how almost everyone buys a Strat eventually even if they don't really like Strats! Now I find myself re-learning "Hotel California" and wanting to learn "Wanted Dead or Alive" and I don't even like Bon Jovi! I'm enjoying playing it.

So, much to my Wife's annoyance, I think this one is going to stay a while. This means I'm going to have to get the lead out and fix up and flip a few I have stashed in the basement as I am dangerously close to "maximum occupancy"!

I don't know too much about Hohner guitars. If anyone has any knowledge about them I'd love to hear it! Its always nice to know as many details about my guitars as possible. I could be exactly wrong but I'm guessing it is from the mid to late 70's. It seems to have that 70's import vibe to it.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
Definitely made in the 70s

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
Well, I haven't bought a strat yet but I would have given that 12 string a serious look. I got into 12 strings a bit by accident. I wanted a particular one to change over to a six string and felt like I was missing something after I did the mod. Then I got an electric 12 string and did the six string mod to it and sold it a few years ago. Finally I picked up another acoustic 12 string this year and I think it's a keeper.

So enjoy your Hohner. There is a sound the 12 string gives us that nothing else can match.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Last September I took a chance on a trade and got a spectacular Larrivee L-42 12 string. I hadn’t played a 12 string in over 30 years. I loved it. I love the feel, the tone, everything. Then at this years L&M Attic sale I made the mistake of trying a Godin A12 hybrid guitar. One strum and I knew it was coming home. I rarely play anything other than 12 strings now. Yes, they take some getting used to but I just love the full sound.

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
Last September I took a chance on a trade and got a spectacular Larrivee L-42 12 string. I hadn’t played a 12 string in over 30 years. I loved it. I love the feel, the tone, everything. Then at this years L&M Attic sale I made the mistake of trying a Godin A12 hybrid guitar. One strum and I knew it was coming home. I rarely play anything other than 12 strings now. Yes, they take some getting used to but I just love the full sound.
Kerry, I wish you hadn't posted this. I just looked this up. I am surprised it wasn't more on my radar as I check out the Godin line on a regular basis. I really like what I see in this guitar. After your one strum test, maybe I should just keep looking at it and not touch it.:D

One thing we all like are good tuners with a decent ratio. This one has two different excellent rations; 18:1 on the bass strings and 26:1 on the treble strings. That no doubt helps to keep this 12 string in tune.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Kerry, I wish you hadn't posted this. I just looked this up. I am surprised it wasn't more on my radar as I check out the Godin line on a regular basis. I really like what I see in this guitar. After your one strum test, maybe I should just keep looking at it and not touch it.:D

One thing we all like are good tuners with a decent ratio. This one has two different excellent rations; 18:1 on the bass strings and 26:1 on the treble strings. That no doubt helps to keep this 12 string in tune.
It was plugged into a small acoustic amp when I tried it. It is a great 12 string for live use. It is very easy to play with upper fret access as good as a Les Paul. I think they are discontinued so you may have a hard time finding one. It stays in tune very well. The other night at an open mic was the first time I ever struggled with tuning and even then it was because the bar was loud and I was using a clip on tuner that kept picking up the live guitars on the stage. It had just come in from the car on very cold, wet evening. The 26:1 tuners took a bit to get used to. You really have to turn them a lot to change the pitch but once turned they rarely need adjustment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts