The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired a Heritage H535 that was a showroom demo from Cream City Music in Milwaukee, WI. (bought via their eBay site) Upon arrival, the guitar showed virtually no signs of any play wear and the action and intonation was perfectly setup. I’m pretty smitten with the Transparent Red finish that shows a subtle flame in the maple top at certain angles. (See the pics below)

Of course, as an incurable gearhead I immediately started scheming as to a choice for pickups to replace the stock Duncan ‘59 set. As fate would have it, a fellow GC member happened to have a new set of Re-Wind 1958 PAF’s for sale, so I snagged them as well. Now, there is nothing wrong with the Duncan’s but I gotta say, the Re-Winds are simply a cut above!

The 1958’s possess a clarity, evenness, and sweetness of tone that surpass any other PAF style pickup I’ve encountered so far. (Including Duncan Seth Lovers, Ron Ellis PAF’s and Sheptone Tributes) I was able to dial in the neck to strike my desired tone with clear, articulate highs without any muddiness or ‘boom’ from the mid/low frequencies. The bridge pickup has just the right amount of brightness & twang (without harshness) and plenty of low-end. I also noticed that the 1958’s respond to very subtle changes to pickup height. Once I achieved the balance I wanted between the neck & bridge positions, the tone from the middle setting was spot-on! So gratifying when an upgrade exceeds one’s expectations!…thanks @Jackvulcan9000 !
Musical instrument Plant Guitar String instrument String instrument
Furniture Table Dishware Guitar accessory Font

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fantastic, both the Heritage and the PAFs!

BTW, I'm a fan of the SD '59s too. Are they going in another guitar?
Not in the near future, as I don’t have another HB guitar in which to install them.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice snag!
Don't mean to tread all over your NGD post, but I just wanted to say these are excellent guitars, and you chose the correct colour.....here's my 1996 H535.....

No worries…clearly we both have impeccable taste! 😉 The red pickguard on yours is a cool touch!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Agreed. At first I thought it was just a bit too much red, but it grows on you. Strangely, although I've seen a lot of H535s (being a member of the Heritage Owners Club helps), I've never seen another pickguard shaped exactly the same.. The markings on the back of it indicate that it came from the factory, though. Could be the guitar was some kind of custom order, as its label has been signed by all the original Heritage owners.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Nice top on that one @Roots-Picker the flame is very nice. Always wanted to check one out but I've never been in the same room with one unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've never seen another pickguard shaped exactly the same.. The markings on the back of it indicate that it came from the factory, though. Could be the guitar was some kind of custom order, as its label has been signed by all the original Heritage owners.
@blueshores_guy From looking more closely at your picture it looks like the pickguard is red-stained maple with a really nice grain pattern to it, very cool. I used to have an H-157CM (LP Custom clone) that came with an ebony pickguard, which added an elegant touch. So awesome that original owners signed your 535…some ‘added cache’ for sure!

I don’t own a H535 or a Gibby 335, but having the input jack on the rim like the Heritage instead of on the front just seems like the better decision to me.
Yes, I much prefer the jack on the rim as well, @Farmboyjo

Nice top on that one @Roots-Picker the flame is very nice. Always wanted to check one out but I've never been in the same room with one unfortunately.
Thanks @BlueRocker !…the flame really doesn’t pop from straight on, you gotta see the top from just the right angle. And yeah, Heritage’s stable of Canadian dealers is still pretty limited. I literally stumbled across this guitar by chance during an “eBay GAS’ing surf” session. Cream City was great to deal with and I saved quite a few hundreds of dollars on a next-to-new specimen! (even after shipping, brokerage, GST, etc.) The Re-Wind PAF’s are truly the icing on the cake!

My wife even commented how much she likes the color…and she rarely ever comments on my guitar purchases! (Mostly just eye-rolls and headshakes!) 😋

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Congrats - I love my 535 - just wish it had a thicker neck.

Reactions: Roots-Picker
1 - 20 of 20 Posts