The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I've actually had that one for a little while now, but finally made time to take a few pics and share this latest acquisition)

I decided to pull trigger on a new one sight unseen since they don't seem to come up used very often on this side of the border. I had asked around here about Hallmark a few months back and didn't get much feedback, so here's my take on this guitar.

My understanding is that the bodies are made in Korea then shipped to Hallmark for the paint and fret work. The hardware and pickups are all custom made by Hallmark. The finish work is nicely done; not perfect but the colours are unique and really pop in person. Mine is called 'Surf Pearl' and fades from a candy apple blue to a seafoam green to pearl white, with a hint of sparkle. I didn't take a pic but there is a burst on the back and neck as well. The pickups sweet; quiet and very punchy. The neck is on the thin side, which I personally like.

The really star of the show here however is the trem. That was the main reason I was looking at the Custom 60. Safe to say it did not disappoint. The hardware itself is solid and well machined. It is responsive, smooth and perfect for those surf wobbles and flutters. Stays in tune perfectly (the zero fret helps I'm sure). I've tried every trem out there: JM style, bigsbys, les trem, Strat, floyds, etc. They are all nice in their own right but this is by far my favourite. If you're into trems, this is just beautiful.

The only negative about this guitar is that for some reason the truss rod can only be accessed by removing the neck pickup, which is kind of a pain. So far the setup has stayed pretty consistent, but as with all my guitars I'm pretty sure it will need adjustment at some point with the humidity swings.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the Hallmark Custom 60. It's not exactly a cheap guitar (999$ USD + 60$ shipping, incl case) but for what you get I think it is very reasonably priced. Also props to Bob, the owner, for being really great to deal with.

And a close up of the trem:

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
Nice! I always felt these were the best looking out of the current Mosrite copies or influenced guitars. I especially love that they don't use a jazzmaster style trem like the Eastwoods. I have never got to play one though! Post a video if you get a chance!

·
Registered
24,710 Posts
A work-mate gave me a Mansfield guitar that he had played in high school. It's a copy of a hollow-body Mosrite Combo, not unlike this one: c.1969 Minister Mosrite Combo Vintage Japanese Guitar Firstman Maruyama Teisco | eBay . Same German carve, zero fret, headstock, pickguard, control knobs, and bridge, but it has humbuckers instead of P-90s, and the bridge and tremolo are on the same base-plate. The string-holes on the tremolo are staggered heights, which I gather is to somehow adjust tension via string angle and improve return-to-pitch. Except in this case the tremolo provides little bend and very poor return-to-pitch. I have disassembled the bridge and attempted to lubricate the rollers to make them move more freely on several occasions, but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I had high hopes for the guitar, but so far it would appear to be underperforming compared to yours. I did wire up the neck pickup for coil-cancellation, and installed a mini-toggle for that just below the space between the volume and tone knobs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woah, soooo coool!
Nice to see somethin different! I really like it!

Are those pickups P90's?
They're P90-ish. Similar construction but hotter + twangier (from what I can understand). They are based off Mosrite pickups (and so is the Custom 60 overall, minus the tiny frets!)

mhammer: cool guitar :) Too bad the trem isn't working as you hoped though. It looks like it would be a neat piece of hardware. Maybe a new spring?

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
They're P90-ish. Similar construction but hotter + twangier (from what I can understand). They are based off Mosrite pickups (and so is the Custom 60 overall, minus the tiny frets!)

mhammer: cool guitar :) Too bad the trem isn't working as you hoped though. It looks like it would be a neat piece of hardware. Maybe a new spring?
Which is another thing I like about these. Most manufacturers making clones just throw P90's in them. I don't mind P90's, but if you are making a Mosrite copy, why not put something closer to the original pickups in it.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Cool looking guitar. Enjoy!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have always considered getting a Hallmark guitar, and it would have to be the Mosrite style such as this.

OP, what is the neck profile like? Would you characterize it as then, medium or chunky. This is important to me, as I can't deal with ultra thin necks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts