The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kinda bummed that I didn’t make it through 2018 without buying a guitar, but I’m easily consoled with... a new (to me) guitar.

Found this on L&M in the deals section. It’s a Godin Velocity:

Quick and dirty photos for now; I literally just unboxed it.

Here’s the specs;

Neck: Rock Maple
Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood with Ergocut
Radius: 12” (30 cm)
Scale: 25 1/2” (64.75 cm)
Nut Width: 1 11/16” (4,3 cm)
Body: Silver leaf maple center with poplar wings
Pickups: 2 x Godin GS-1 single coils (neck & middle), SH-5 Seymour Duncan Custom humbucker (bridge)
Controls: 5-way switch, 1 x Volume, 1 x Tone,
1 x Godin High-Definition Revoicer
Finish: Natural Flame HG

Now I’m off to clean, restring and setup.

·
Premium Member
17,336 Posts
Congrats!

The flame on that guitar is beautiful.

We are both celebrating NGD's

ENJOY!

P.S. I will be doing a restring also...but I am not as dedicated as you are to do that 'right away'.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats!

The flame on that guitar is beautiful.

We are both celebrating NGD's

ENJOY!

P.S. I will be doing a restring also...but I am not as dedicated as you are to do that 'right away'.
Congrats to you, as well!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Congrats, very nice!! Love my Godin and all this talk about restringing reminds me that mine is well overdue for some lovely new strings! Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Nice. Sounds like it's a pretty versatile guitar. Especially with the Duncan Custom SH-5 in bridge. I wonder how she growls?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice. Sounds like it's a pretty versatile guitar. Especially with the Duncan Custom SH-5 in bridge. I wonder how she growls?
I just tried it through my little Vox pathfinder, and with the gain turned up, it was warm and wooly; likely due to dead strings and the bad setup. I’d say it’ll play nicer when everything is clean. The neck and middle pickups are very nice; articulate and fat, appear to love gain.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Congratulations on that beauty. I remember playing one at Long & Mcquade and really liking the neck on it.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
That is one of the cleanest (in a sharp way) looking guitars I've seen in awhile. You'll enjoy playing that for a long time.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Congratulations, great guitar. How is the neck on velocity - fat or thin?

I remember I tried once Progression Boutique at L&M Scarborough, and it felt really nice, fat, handful but in pleasant way.
This guitar looks very similar to that one

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congratulations, great guitar. How is the neck on velocity - fat or thin?

I remember I tried once Progression Boutique at L&M Scarborough, and it felt really nice, fat, handful but in pleasant way.
This guitar looks very similar to that one
Other than the flatter fretboard radius and larger frets, this neck is a dead ringer for the modern c shape on my other strat. It’s very comfy, and that “ergocut” process makes the neck feel great; very worn in and comfy.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats!

Whait is a « hight definition revoicer »?
It’s almost like an active boost. Seems to boost the treble and mids, fun for solos and such. Godin says it’s “like the difference between switching from passive to active pickups”. I’m enjoying it so far by setting the amp just on the point of breakup, and then using the boost to drive the rest of the way. It’s activated by that little push switch by the tone control.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, frig, that's a handsome instrument.

How does it sound with the maple core and poplar wings? I'd bet witht he stainless steel saddles it's very bright.
It’s definitely different. The body is a great weight, I don’t know how much effect the maple/poplar combo has on the tone, but I like what I’m hearing.

The pickups aren’t voiced for classic strat tones either; the neck and middle have a bit of the strat honk, but they also have a character all their own. With the HDR boost, the neck pickup almost takes on an underwound p90 type of vibe.

I don’t really know what to compare this guitar to, but it’s about 99% the perfect strat for me. My only gripe is the bridge; I don’t see why they didn’t go for a 2 point tremolo instead of the vintage 6 screw. The vintage bridge will work fine, I just find them more finicky to setup with no perceived benefit over the modern 2 point, especially on an instrument that is up-playing all of its modern refinements.

It’s a great guitar, and I’m glad I caught this deal.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
It’s almost like an active boost. Seems to boost the treble and mids, fun for solos and such. Godin says it’s “like the difference between switching from passive to active pickups”. I’m enjoying it so far by setting the amp just on the point of breakup, and then using the boost to drive the rest of the way. It’s activated by that little push switch by the tone control.
Oh nice, seems like a Clapton boost module!
Make it easy to play without additional pedals! :)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Other than the flatter fretboard radius and larger frets, this neck is a dead ringer for the modern c shape on my other strat. It’s very comfy, and that “ergocut” process makes the neck feel great; very worn in and comfy.
Thank you very much for the info - really appreciate it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don’t really know what to compare this guitar to, but it’s about 99% the perfect strat for me. My only gripe is the bridge; I don’t see why they didn’t go for a 2 point tremolo instead of the vintage 6 screw. The vintage bridge will work fine, I just find them more finicky to setup with no perceived benefit over the modern 2 point, especially on an instrument that is up-playing all of its modern refinements.
Wilkinson makes a two-point bridge that is designed to replace the vintage six screw using the two outermost screw holes as starting points for the posts. If it fits....

Wilkinson 2 Pivot Screw Vibrato ~ Chrome

1 - 20 of 26 Posts