The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this baby yesterday. I've been searching high and low for a good deal on a faded SG with a case, and my search widened once I realized that I needed to go to my parents' cottage to help them pack up before they sell it. So, I searched for the SG in every city that would be a viable route on my way there...

Lo and behold, I was able to communicate with a great guy in Ottawa, who met me near his work , just off the highway. I had my little battery powered Blackstar amp to check the electronics and such. The guitar felt amazing, and it was in impeccable shape, as was the case. The guy also gave me an incredible deal - $550.

I absolutely love the guitar. I didn't realize how important it would be for me to have such easy access to the higher frets. I do a lot of octave stuff (not really solos though), and I always found it uncomfortable, but really thought that that was the way of the world - every guitarist must feel the same degree of discomfort when playing high up. I was wrong. The SG opens things up tremendously in that regard. It's also super light, wonderfully resonant, and looks bad ass. Oh, and no neck dive on this one.

One thing I will say is that the unwound strings were misbehaving mightily yesterday. They were constantly going out of tune. At one point, while raising the high E, it broke, between the nut and the peg. It was frustrating. I was a bit worried about the nut and stuff, But this morning I put it through its paces, and it remained tuned for the entire time. Weird. I think it was acting a little wild at first as it didn't know me, but now maybe it's been tamed. I'm going to change all the strings, and keep an eye on it.

Honeymoon period pf course - but I'm stoked. This has been a dream guitar of mine for as long as I can remember.

·
Registered
12,873 Posts
Congrats!

What year? I have an '07 LP Special double cut that started life as a faded.

Big Bends Nut Sauce may help you with the nut issues.
The "three on a side tuners" are the only setup that I've had any issues with, alway on the unwound strings.
I bought some abrasive cord (Mitchells) that helps open up the slot on the tuner side of the nut.
Then I always use that nut sauce in the slots and on the saddles on every string change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts