The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off thanks to forum member Tim Plains. Great guy to deal with! 2013 Gibson Custom Collector's Choice #7 1960 Les Paul "Shanks". Beautifully aged and relic'd by the Gibson Custom Shop. Nice transition '59 neck and a perfect 8.5lbs. Honestly a work of art!

IMG_8109.jpg
IMG_8113.jpg
IMG_8120.jpg

IMG_8138.JPG
IMG_8153.JPG
IMG_8159.jpg
IMG_8203.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
First off thanks to forum member Tim Plains. Great guy to deal with! 2013 Gibson Custom Collector's Choice #7 1960 Les Paul "Shanks". Beautifully aged and relic'd by the Gibson Custom Shop. Nice transition '59 neck and a perfect 8.5lbs. Honestly a work of art!

View attachment 110817 View attachment 110825 View attachment 110841
View attachment 110857 View attachment 110865 View attachment 110873 View attachment 110881
B-E-A-UTIFUL.

Congrats dude!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Very freakin' beautiful!
I'd wondered who'd scored this gem.
Congratulations!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats. How does she play and sound?
Sounds and plays like it looks! Incredible. Perfect transitional '59 neck. Custom Buckers wound to match the ones in the original '60 burst. A perfect 8.5lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Glad you like it.

Reactions: dleake

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Congrats, and enjoy your LP! I love a plaintop, and your guitar is gorgeous. And Tim is indeed a great guy to deal with. I have bought one guitar from him, and he was incredibly helpful to me when I was looking at an R8. It wasn't even his guitar, but he gave me some amazing information.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
That's an awesome guitar, congrats!

·
Premium Member
11,629 Posts
Beautiful guitar.

What is the back story on the "Shanks"? I assume it is a recreation of a famous guitar? In particular, I note the machine heads which are not period correct - so probably following along with the 'real' Shanks guitar that had those installed?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Beautiful guitar.

What is the back story on the "Shanks"? I assume it is a recreation of a famous guitar? In particular, I note the machine heads which are not period correct - so probably following along with the 'real' Shanks guitar that had those installed?
From the Gibson site - "All 1958 to 1960 ’Bursts are highly collectible, but a handful of transitional guitars that blend the ever-evolving specs are even more prized. As the chunky, rounded neck profile of the ’59 segued into the slimmer, faster profile of the ’60 Les Paul Standard, a mere handful of fatter ’50s-necked examples slipped into the new model year, and of these, the Les Paul owned by legendary music producer and songwriter John Shanks is known to be as good as it gets. Gibson Custom is proud to announce the release of the Collector’s Choice™ #7 1960 Les Paul, an exacting recreation of this hit-making, Grammy Award Winning producer’s beloved Les Paul. As with each guitar in the Collector’s Choice™ series, John has generously allowed the Gibson Custom team intimate access to his prized ’Burst, so that every minute detail necessary to recreate the look, feel, and tone of the original has been captured. As a result, you get the precise neck profile, top carve, and vibrant finish— with a deep-cherry edge fading ever so slightly to washed-cherry toward the center of the body—as well as every drop of transition ’Burst tone thanks to a pair of accurately reproduced Custom Buckers with Alnico III magnets. In short, the Collector’s Choice™ #7 1960 Les Paul is as close as you’ll come to owning the real thing."

·
Premium Member
11,629 Posts
Thanks, @dleake . Great information on an iconic guitar! You are a lucky man.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Oh you got it ,,,awesome, CONGRATS !!!!
I played that very guitar at Tim's a couple of months ago and thought it was the best of a whole bunch of UBER Les Paulsters we played that afternoon.
That LP is the living definition of the saying, " a great LP sounds like a Tele".

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
I like it. You know, I offer a free tuning service. We come to you. Lmk when you'd like it done and I'll present myself for servicing. LOL.

Curious about the headstock, does john shanks' lack the Les Paul Standard name due to aging or so?

Still superb.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like it. You know, I offer a free tuning service. We come to you. Lmk when you'd like it done and I'll present myself for servicing. LOL.

Curious about the headstock, does john shanks' lack the Les Paul Standard name due to aging or so?

Still superb.
Yes! The Les Paul Standard word mark has completely wore off on the original '60 'Burst. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts