The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://instagr.am/p/BhK2bNsBFB_/
Went and picked up my new FX8 MkII after work today. I've already made up a preset with 90% of the tones I use, and I'll be making a second with one slight tweak to the reverbs and set up switching between the two.

I haven't A/B'd the traditional board sound-wise with the FX8, mostly due to the better half not feeling well. So far I've found it reasonably intuitive (easier to navigate than the HelixFX) granted I've been using the manual while I edit and move around. I've already made 8 scenes on my first preset, however committing them to memory will take a bit of time. I'll be running our set at home and fine-tuning/learning as I go. I'm really hoping to get scenes down sooner rather than later - it will be a matter of layout and knowing which one is where. The good news is that you can still operate each footswitch as a stompbox no matter what scene you're using.

I really look forward to opening up some new possibilities with this unit. Expect to see it on our upcoming tour!

·
Premium Member
18,606 Posts
Congrats!

You seldom post getting any new gear (especially recently).

The FX8 looks like endless creativity for you and will be fun to "test out" on your upcoming tour.

ENJOY!!

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
http://instagr.am/p/BhK2bNsBFB_/
Went and picked up my new FX8 MkII after work today. I've already made up a preset with 90% of the tones I use, and I'll be making a second with one slight tweak to the reverbs and set up switching between the two.

I haven't A/B'd the traditional board sound-wise with the FX8, mostly due to the better half not feeling well. So far I've found it reasonably intuitive (easier to navigate than the HelixFX) granted I've been using the manual while I edit and move around. I've already made 8 scenes on my first preset, however committing them to memory will take a bit of time. I'll be running our set at home and fine-tuning/learning as I go. I'm really hoping to get scenes down sooner rather than later - it will be a matter of layout and knowing which one is where. The good news is that you can still operate each footswitch as a stompbox no matter what scene you're using.

I really look forward to opening up some new possibilities with this unit. Expect to see it on our upcoming tour!
Lol, 2 presets? You think that's gonna cover it?!?!?! I guarantee you once you're more comfortable with it, you're going to end up with a LOT more than that. I basically have a Preset for EVERY SONG we do, and each Preset has Snapshots/Scenes for different parts (verse, chorus, solo, bridge, outro, etc.). You'd better get ready to go down the rabbit hole :p

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol, 2 presets? You think that's gonna cover it?!?!?! I guarantee you once you're more comfortable with it, you're going to end up with a LOT more than that. I basically have a Preset for EVERY SONG we do, and each Preset has Snapshots/Scenes for different parts (verse, chorus, solo, bridge, outro, etc.). You'd better get ready to go down the rabbit hole :p
I don't use the banks on my strymons live, and I only technically need 1 sound in the A2 preset ;). Got a deep editing tool for the simple stuff haha.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats!

You seldom post getting any new gear (especially recently).

The FX8 looks like endless creativity for you and will be fun to "test out" on your upcoming tour.

ENJOY!!
I don't have money for new gear, so I don't usually get new gear haha. If this works out, all my old pedals go up for grabs (and the power supply).

Does the floor unit do amp sounds as well, or just effects?
This one is effects only. The AX8 covers amp and cab sims + effects. This will be running into the front end of my JCM800.

·
Registered
11,888 Posts
I don't have money for new gear, so I don't usually get new gear haha. If this works out, all my old pedals go up for grabs (and the power supply).

This one is effects only. The AX8 covers amp and cab sims + effects. This will be running into the front end of my JCM800.
Which Strymon do you have, if said effects are sold off? ;)

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts

Where's the dirt coming from? Fx8?

Want to touch. @Alex got me pumped to try one

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That’s pretty cool.
Highlights include: not accidentally stepping on knobs, layout basically the same as my old board until I memorize my scenes, x/y feature.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I don't use the banks on my strymons live, and I only technically need 1 sound in the A2 preset ;). Got a deep editing tool for the simple stuff haha.
because the banks are massively annoying to deal with? ;)

you've got MIDI control now and the ability all sorts of changes to happen with 1 footswitch. You'll go off the deep end soon! %h(*&

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
because the banks are massively annoying to deal with? ;)
No, because I would switch them by accident. How everyone hasnt jumped on the "knob lock" feature the Boss 500 series have is beyond me. Thats one thing I missed about the DD-500 haha.

We'll see when the deep end happens.

As for clips, eventually.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts