1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,172 Posts
That's awesome! Have fun!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Nice! It's enjoyable doing that kind of thing.

I have a LP Special that I bought earlier this year at a good price and was going to list it on Kijiji this weekend since the LP jr I bought replaces it. I don't need to sell it but it's not gonna get played much now.

I offered it to a co-worker at $100 less than what the lowest Kijiji offer I'll accept --- just to be nice to someone I know. And I explained this to him.

What did he proceed to do? He started haggling and wanted another $100 off.

He's young and just didn't get why I wasn't happy with him.

Today an 18-year old I know, but haven't talked to in about 7 months --- an aspiring musician who is really trying to make a living as a musician --- out of the blue sent me a message just checking in to see what new gear I've recently bought.

Long story short --- he's coming over tomorrow to look at the LP and I told him he could have it for $100 less than what I had offered it to the guy before. And if need be he could make payments.

What's another $100 to me when it could help out a kid who wants to be a pro player?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
You are a good man Greco! Please let us know if it needs any other parts and I am sure others would be happy to help out. I have some unopened D'Addario strings I would be happy to donate.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Great on you Dave. Do you know how BGR selects its recipients, or is it done through a charity/food bank etc?

·
Premium Member
17,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Fox Rox Thanks very much for the offer of the strings. I might take you up on that offer for the next guitar I fix up and donate.

@Scotty I know that several people working in community agencies know about the program and will phone and ask about getting an instrument for a "client", etc. I donated my old Yamaha FG11o last week. Ryan, the "owner" and tech at BGR said he had a young fellow who recently arrived from Syria (IIRC) in mind for that guitar.

Update:

I worked on it for a few hours today. The jack was inside the control cavity. I reattached it. I might put a switchcraft jack on it.

The bridge ground was not attached. I replaced it with some nice cloth covered wire.

Polished the frets and a cleaned the fretboard. The frets actually have very little wear.

Put new strings on it.

Adjusted the truss rod/relief.

Lowered the action.

Played the guitar.

Now I have a new problem... I really like this guitar!!...LOL

I haven't had a guitar with single coils for quite some time. Maybe it is just a nice change/break for my ears.
It is very light weight and comfortable.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Those who want to do something like this but aren't aware of any programs to donate to --- check out your local high school.

There are many aspiring young guitarists looking to have their own guitar who can't afford one.

Often the music dept itself will be happy to receive donations too.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Dan Walsh in Cambridge runs the Guitars for Kids organization. Bob Egan was involved in founding this. Not sure if Bob is still involved, he retired from the guitar business some months ago. Ryan Allen took things over at the shop (Bobs Guitar Service) - he’s an amazing fellow, anyone whose ever met him will agree.

Anyway, all that to say the organization is called Guitars for Kids. There was a write up in the local paper a couple weeks back:

Cambridge Guitars for Kids expands into Kitchener, Waterloo

Good work on the guitar, Dave! How’s the finish looking on it? I’d be happy to buff it out on my wheel.

·
Premium Member
17,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Dan Walsh in Cambridge runs the Guitars for Kids organization. Bob Egan was involved in founding this. Not sure if Bob is still involved, he retired from the guitar business some months ago. Ryan Allen took things over at the shop (Bobs Guitar Service) - he’s an amazing fellow, anyone whose ever met him will agree.

Anyway, all that to say the organization is called Guitars for Kids. There was a write up in the local paper a couple weeks back:

Cambridge Guitars for Kids expands into Kitchener, Waterloo

Good work on the guitar, Dave! How’s the finish looking on it? I’d be happy to buff it out on my wheel.
Thanks for the offer to buff the guitar and for all the information and link.
It has the typical 'chiclet' finish ...but is in reasonable condition.

BTW..I have seen your new guitars for sale at Bob's/Ryan's. Very impressive work!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts