The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
All the usual suspects...
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi y'all.

Just finished reviving a cheapo, but great-handling Tracer Strat clone as a gift to my son. He now lives in another town so no access to dad's collection anymore. Had to level/dress frets (the ends were ripping off any fingers they encountered), cut a new bone nut, use a full neck shim, install string trees, replace pots and jack, and do a full setup, but now it's playing very nicely. I'm very surprised, but the neck I would be tempted to keep to start a new build using good components if he ever parts with it.

Oh well... did I say "cheapo"? More working hours than it's worth, but at least he's got a great player. Might be tempted to drop good pickups in, but the pressed wood body ain't worth caring for.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi y'all.

Just finished reviving a cheapo, but great-handling Tracer Strat clone as a gift to my son. He now lives in another town so no access to dad's collection anymore. Had to level/dress frets (the ends were ripping off any fingers they encountered), cut a new bone nut, use a full neck shim, install string trees, replace pots and jack, and do a full setup, but now it's playing very nicely. I'm very surprised, but the neck I would be tempted to keep to start a new build using good components if he ever parts with it.

Oh well... did I say "cheapo"? More working hours than it's worth, but at least he's got a great player. Might be tempted to drop good pickups in, but the pressed wood body ain't worth caring for.

If you decide to swap out the pickups I recommend trying Vineham, they are available at a great price but do not confuse that with a cheap or less than stellar results....
Nice looking axe, sorry to hear you are away from your son, that must be tough to deal with!

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Hey man, you can't beat the gift of music. I'd guess the hours to get it up to par are worth it, or you wouldn't have done it :p.

I'm sure he'll enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you decide to swap out the pickups I recommend trying Vineham, they are available at a great price but do not confuse that with a cheap or less than stellar results....
Nice looking axe, sorry to hear you are away from your son, that must be tough to deal with!
Thanks for the heads-up on those. I have quite an inventory on hand I could use but I know it's just not worth it. The body is dead and the bridge is useless. So one of these days I'll salvage the neck for a quality build, it's quite good.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey man, you can't beat the gift of music. I'd guess the hours to get it up to par are worth it, or you wouldn't have done it :p.

I'm sure he'll enjoy it.
He does. Not quite an Oxblood or an R8, but hey.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts