The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started life as a strat player 22 years ago because while squires were cheap, the Les Paul's I love were more than my 15 year old budget could afford (thanks again Grandma for the money for that first one!) I think I've always fought with strats...I always WANT to love positions 1,2 and 4...you know...the strat ones. But in a mix, at a show I struggle to make strats work. They felt and sounded anemic...except the bridge pick up ironically.

So I tried some Les Paul's as I got older. They certainly weren't anemic...but they weren't chimey either...and I struggled with the 24.5" scale feel, the 12" radius and frets.

Earlier this year I bought an American Professional Deluxe Telecaster...and some things started to come together. It has a familiar Fender feel, the snap and chime of that scale length, with some lower wind humbuckers. It's been my #1 since I bought it.

My primary gig is at a church - has been most of my playing career and recently my boss (Pastor) came and asked me to step up and sing more (I'm pretty happy to hang out in the background and let others sing) but there's one problem with that...switching guitars. I think it's pretty distracting to have to swap guitars in that context. Now, I've owned piezo equipped acoustics before but not at the same time as a Kemper profiler and a stereo in-ear mix. So I picked this up after research:

So all that history stuff above was to say this: WHY DIDN'T I TRY A PRS BEFORE NOW? (I should say...I once had a McCarty briefly...but it's a different animal from what I recall)

The P22 pictured here is from 2013, features a 10 top and trem. This PRS solves so many issues for me - it is a bit longer han Gibson scale so it still feels snappy. It's not as "bloated" sounding as a Les Paul...especially on the neck pickup. It plays like a dream...better perhaps even than my Anderson or Suhr guitars (very subjective I know) and the bridge humbucker has a familiar strat humbucker sound but with less spikes in the frequency response.

AND...with a generous high cut employed the piezo is very convincing.

If you're still reading this...I can't imagine why lol...but all that to say it's a lovely instrument I can't see moving on from.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Look so great, I recently just sold my LP trad, tried to love it for 2 years but still can never get along with simple cut and scale, plus its too heavy

How much this PRS weight ?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look so great, I recently just sold my LP trad, tried to love it for 2 years but still can never get along with simple cut and scale, plus its too heavy

How much this PRS weight ?
I'm not sure...but it's light...probably lighter than my Tele

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
Congrats man.

Try the fishman aura pedal (i think its fishman) for some of the best piezo sounds without breaking the bank. People will be amazed.

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
Personally I’ve fallen out of love with PRS guitars. Not a big Issue. I just was quite into them from 1995-2001 then I got Sudeteacked from music until 2009. Then I discovered p-90. I digress.

All this to say that aside from my last paragraph, yours is surely Lovely. Show stopper. Congrats.

·
Registered
9,356 Posts
Have to add a PRS to my want list. I have heard some pretty amazing things about them.

I never thought about giving them a try.

Jdto has one and a beautiful one at that.

I really want to check out his new Gretsch though. Have you seen it? To die for gorgeousness.

·
Registered
9,356 Posts
You know you have GAS really bad when you start looking for a PRS on the Internet at 5:23 am. Sleep, forget about it.

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
Personally I’ve fallen out of love with PRS guitars. Not a big Issue. I just was quite into them from 1995-2001 then I got Sudeteacked from music until 2009. Then I discovered p-90. I digress.

All this to say that aside from my last paragraph, yours is surely Lovely. Show stopper. Congrats.

PRS MCCARTY 594 SOAPBAR SN 242292

You know you have GAS really bad when you start looking for a PRS on the Internet at 5:23 am. Sleep, forget about it.
Grab a used S2, thank me later.

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
I refuse to touch a 594 until Im in a place to buy one.

Because I probably will.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Show stopper. I think if I ever add a "Les Paul" type guitar again it will be a 594. This PRS plays SO MUCH BETTER than any Gibson I've ever laid hands on, CS or not.
I can relate to that... I bought my first PRS, a scarlett red Custom 22, at Steve’s Music Store back in 1994. It feels like it was yesterday. I was a student at the time and had to sell my Gibson SG and my Strat to raise funds towards this purchase. Unless things changed, the craftsmanship and fretwork on PRS guitars is immaculate.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can relate to that... I bought my first PRS, a scarlett red Custom 22, at Steve’s Music Store back in 1994. It feels like it was yesterday. I was a student at the time and had to sell my Gibson SG and my Strat to raise funds towards this purchase. Unless things changed, the craftsmanship and fretwork on PRS guitars is immaculate.
What I love is that they managed to use smaller frets than I'm used to but not make them feel bad...I don't know. It's almost too smooth lol. But the more I play it the more I'm getting used to it.
Just for reference I'm comparing these frets to my Tom Andersons and Suhr guitars. The PRS still seems easier to play and those guitar were SMOOOOOOOTH.

·
Registered
9,356 Posts
Holy crap! A McCarty is $5k.

I went through the used list at L&M and couldn't find anything! If I have buy new I will. The PRS I want is just over $1k. I can afford that all though if you ask my husband you will definitely get a different answer. ;)

I am sitting here at L&M waiting an going crazy out of my mind waiting for the guy I deal with! He's busy at the present. I have already done the walk about, twice.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I went through the used list at L&M and couldn't find anything! If I have buy new I will. The PRS I want is just over $1k. I can afford that all though if you ask my husband you will definitely get a different answer. ;)

I am sitting here at L&M waiting an going crazy out of my mind waiting for the guy I deal with! He's busy at the present. I have already done the walk about, twice.
FYI I will be posting 2 PRS for sale tomorrow-98 CE24 and 97 Standard 22 semi hollow W/no F-hole

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Hey Lola,

I know for a fact there was a reduced Custom 24 on the used gear site at the North Vancouver store...it's about $600 off. There is also a Korina PRS at the other Vancouver store used for about $3500. Not cheap but cheaper than brand new.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
@Lola keep an eye on The Guitar Shop in Mississauga. They are one of the largest PRS dealers in Canada & often have quite a few used examples on hand (there was a McCarty with a couple of dings for ~$1500 last week). Super nice guys who should be able to help you find a great guitar that doesn’t blow your budget.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts