The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a few weeks ago, a forum member posted a Firebird for sale that I really should have jumped on.…

Couldn't shake it

So, when one came up yesterday, I was all over it

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congrats! I love mine. And I was surprised to like it as much as I do.

I remember being shocked the first time I picked up--stunned by how light it was. I was expecting a heavy guitar. Mine's a 2013. I have since swapped the ceramic Gibson mini 'buckers for a set of Mr. Fabulous Firebird pickups from Australia, which get me a closer to the vintage FB sound. The guitar doesn't sound like any other Gibson. It's almost like Gibson was going after the surf guitar market dominated by Fender when they released the FB. Awesome guitars!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed. I haven't weighed it yet, but it’s easily lighter than my LP, but looking bigger….

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Congrats - great guitars. I've had my '08 Burst FB-V for about 8 yrs and it's not going anywhere. They're comfortable to play and pretty versatile too. Replaced my factory Kluson banjo tuning machines with Steinbergers but they wore out in about 5-6 yrs, so put on some Rickard's banjo tuners (a pricey, but elegant tuning solution option for a 'Bird IMO).

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Regrettably I sold mine. I really liked it. It was the 2015 with the zero fret and wide thin neck. Reminded me of my old Ibanez RG570 neck.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Regrettably I sold mine. I really liked it. It was the 2015 with the zero fret and wide thin neck. Reminded me of my old Ibanez RG570 neck.
Mine is a 2015 as well. I’d like to try one with a more standard type of neck but the wide neck has its uses and I don’t mind the stock pickups.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Mine is a 2015 as well. I’d like to try one with a more standard type of neck but the wide neck has its uses and I don’t mind the stock pickups.
Did you get the replacement nut? I grabbed it but just threw it in the case as the brass one was fine.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Did you get the replacement nut? I grabbed it but just threw it in the case as the brass one was fine.
I meant to and I sent them an email about it and they said yeah we will send you one but I never got around to giving my information. I should have but the brass one is OK so far and I think the problem with them was that the robo tuners on the LPs etc were always sawing back-and-forth and that’s what wore them down. If it comes to it I might put a nylon nut on it or something like that. Don’t know if they still have the titanium ones.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I meant to and I sent them an email about it and they said yeah we will send you one but I never got around to giving my information. I should have but the brass one is OK so far and I think the problem with them was that the robo tuners on the LPs etc were always sawing back-and-forth and that’s what wore them down. If it comes to it I might put a nylon nut on it or something like that. Don’t know if they still have the titanium ones.
I'm sure you could still get it. Just good to have. Good point on the robot tuners though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
this one's a 2016, so standard nut and Steinberger gearless tuners. Seems like they work alright. Still breaking the new strings in

yes, saw this first thing when I woke up on Thursday and was texting with the seller before 8, lol

Reactions: fretzel

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
My '08 had the "schoolbus" profile fretwire that was pretty annoying as you were working up/down the fretboard. My luthier coffee-buddy took care of those with his crowning files in short order, however.

Wondering if anyone else had 'Birds with those squarish profile frets or whether that was a short-lived experiment by Gibson.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Steinberger gearless tuners. Seems like they work alright.
Maybe you already know but if a string starts slipping in the locker and it seems the screw won't go any tighter because it's bottomed out in the threaded collar there's an adjustment/fix for that.

The high E on mine was slipping and would go flat as I tried to tune it sharp.

There's a youtub vid shows how to take it apart and adjust it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. I had too much slack in my G when I was changing the strings. Had to back off the lock and pull it tighter. But, so far so good. Appreciate the heads up

·
Premium Member
13,786 Posts
I have a '16 as well. Haven't played it much though. In fact, guitarist in our band played it more than I did. lol

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
Hey if the Firebird does it for you--cool.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Firebirds are definitely cool guitars. I have owned a few, but had trouble bonding with them, so they were all sold. Two of them were not very stable insofar as tuning, and I hated the banjo tuners, which made them neck heavy. I also sold the Bonamassa FB I at a small profit. I should have kept it longer. Firebirds are like Flying Vs and Explorers to me; fun to look at, but not to own.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts