The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

NGD! Fender American Original 60s Jazzmaster!

3K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  myyykkee 
#1 ·
Made some tough choices to make room but I figured this is the last chance to get an AO at a reasonable price before scarcity and inflation take over after the line ends next year. I originally wanted OTM (Ociean Turquoise Metallic) and I had a deal on that fall through. And then I wanted IBM (Ice Blue Metallic) and then that one got bought out from under me while I was putzing around. The same shop had a sunburst that they'd just got in and offered it to me since I lost out on the IBM model. I decided now or never so I went for it. And wow am I glad I did! You couldn't ask for a more iconic look than the mid-60's sunburst JM with tort guard. This guitar is BEAUTIFUL in person. The sunburst is a rich brown (not orange) with a nice dark and subtle red fade.

Only critiques (and apparently this is a THING with buying a 2021 production guitar due to them rushing) is a few of the plastic parts aren't finished very cleanly. The knobs have a few plastic burrs on the edges. The pickup selector switch tip looks oddly a little dirty (maybe it was the last one in the bin?). Either way, no big deal at all.

This one was brand new out of the box. 2021 made. Fender also threw a "75th Anniversary" commemorative neck plate in the case. The strings were still in tune out of the case! It's set up pretty much perfectly and plays great. Sounds fantastic! Everything you'd expect out of a vintage style JM.

See less See more
#3 ·
I've got a Mastery on my Jaguar. This stock bridge seems fine so far... It's got good break angle on the strings. I hear that the problems begin when you set the stock bridge too low.

Yeah man, try and find an AO Jazzmaster in Canada right now. I think there might be one on Reverb. L&M has zero in their entire network. Couple shops have said they just got a small batch of AO's and they've been told these are the last ones they're getting. I got this one from Diplomate (based in Montreal) and they told me they got two in and they'd ordered them both back in January. They sold the Ice Blue within 4 days of posting it. And I got this SB which they hadn't even put on their site yet.

#10 ·
That's a beauty for sure...so shiny & new and a lovely sunburst finish, too! There's something nice and 'dressed up' about a Fender with fingerboard bunding.

I hope this JM brings you years of enjoyment!

#14 ·
My first brand new guitar was a 2019 ocean turquoise AO Jazzmaster. I grew to hate the colour, you made the right choice. Very nice instrument.

I suspect that there will be a comparable line released to replace the AO as the line has made them a lot of money. Rightfully so.

Reactions: Powdered Toast Man
#17 ·
Yeah oddly enough you can get one shipped from the UK by Peach Guitars. For over $200 shipping and lord knows about the taxes and fees on it. (I've heard VAT is pricey)

#20 ·
Staytrem has had issues in recent years keeping up with demand. A couple years ago he changed his policy to ONLY sell to buyers in the UK. Later he reopened up orders worldwide again. However I checked last night and both bridges Staytrem offers are "out of stock". And they ain't cheap on the resale market.

I thought maybe the complaints about the stock bridge were overblown. Last night after playing for about an hour (and with about 3 hours total on the guitar so far) all of a sudden I noticed the bridge is rattling. And then the A string was buzzing out of nowhere. And then the G string went "sitar" so badly that you could hear it loud and clear through the amp. I started trying to troubleshoot it and once I put my radius gauge on the strings I found that the A and G saddles had worked themselves downward just enough that the strings were making incidental contact with the front lip of the bridge plate while vibrating. Adjusted them back into position and the noises ceased.

I went to Mastery's website and put in an order.

#22 · (Edited)
If you don't mind a $50 markup, yes.

Mastery M1 USD price:
Direct from Mastery: $180 + $30 shipping
Axe And You Shall Receive: $229 + $19.50 shipping

Price after exchange for my order from Mastery: $273 CAD
Checkout price in my cart at Axe: $325 CAD

I know I'll wait longer getting it from the USA. But whatever I don't need it RIGHT NOW. I get dealers want to make money but a 27% markup? Nah.

Reactions: Griff
#29 ·
Congrats !! That looks killer !!

Not to derail this Ngd thread but I played a friends jazzmaster and fell in love. I have to ask though.... why do they seem so expensive compared to other fender models ?? Or is this just a supply/demand thing. I dont own any fenders outside a heartfield RR and they are a different animal.
Each line is at a price point, JM's dont cost extra. That only happens with various special runs or CS stuff. I was browsing today and wondering why a masterbuilt was 2x the price of a reg CS. Turns out it has a solid braz neck...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.