The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking for a small, light amp that isn’t too powerful that I can take to small jams and also use at home on occasion. The Vox AC4C1-BL seemed to fit the mould, so yesterday I hiked out to L&M in Mississauga. The drive was a bit slow and snowy on the 401, but when I got there, the amp sounded good, so I went for it.

But wait...why am I posting this in the guitar section?

Well, there was this blue guitar that seems like a good match for my blue amp, so I had to bring it home. This thing sounds great, plays great and feels great. It sounds good through both the little amp and the bigger Marshall. Honeymoon time.

Guitar Musical instrument Guitar amplifier Electric guitar Electronic instrument

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well then.
I mean...they’re both blue, right? One must colour coordinate from time to time. This little Vox is impressing me. I also tried it through my Marshall 212 and it is nice. Really nice. Once this little speaker breaks in it should make for a fun little amp. And 4w is still damn loud.
Damn you've got good taste. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm guessing you will be playing the blues with this combo?%h(*&Cheesy joke...I know...lol. What a great score for you. Those Gretsch hollowbodys are sweet! A very handsome pair for sure. Congrats:)

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm guessing you will be playing the blues with this combo?%h(*&Cheesy joke...I know...lol. What a great score for you. Those Gretsch hollowbodys are sweet! A very handsome pair for sure. Congrats:)
And wearing blue jeans ;)

But yeah, these Electromatics are pretty damn sweet. Gretsch is putting out some fantastic guitars these days.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Very nice! Love the colour. My wife picked a new Gretch a acoustic on Boxing Day and I'm totally impressed with both the guitar and the price tag. :)

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
congrats!!

very nice amp + gtr

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
11,675 Posts
Gretsch and Vox worked for The Beatles, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm seriously looking for a small amp like that. Hadn't considered a Vox until now.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
And wearing blue jeans ;)
Just to be safe you should also wear a denim shirt & jean jacket.

I have an AC4TV head that I run through an open back 212 loaded with vintage Silver Bells, more than enough volume for most applications. One year I took it to the barn along with a 112 loaded with a 50W Weber Blue Dog: not a lot of clean headroom but I was able to keep up with the drummer.

·
Premium Member
18,576 Posts
Gretsch and Vox worked for The Beatles, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm seriously looking for a small amp like that. Hadn't considered a Vox until now.
Every time I see a Mustang II or a Pathfinder/VT come up for $150 I consider it before remembering I can't do it. The latest round of practice amps have come a long way. I know you are talking about the EL84 lil' guy but I thought I'd mention it. Chuck's Class 5 is a little beast too.

People always say "5W is so loud!" and my reaction ever since cranking an epi valve junior through a 412 is "Yes, it's been documented" :p.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh yeah. This little Vox can get loud. I got a bit carried away last night and my wife had to remind me it was after midnight and the neighbours didn’t likely appreciate my volume :D

The feedback with a hollow body Gretsch is so much fun!

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
The feedback with a hollow body Gretsch is so much fun!
+1

They are a hoot to play live/loud. And far more flexibility than one would assume by just looking at them. Great guitars.

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
+1

They are a hoot to play live/loud. And far more flexibility than one would assume by just looking at them. Great guitars.
Indeed, I’m mightily impressed. I picked up a tip on the Gretsch-Talk forums for pole piece adjustment on the Blacktop Filtertrons and it has really balanced out the strings.

Text Line Font Parallel Document

·
Premium Member
18,576 Posts
Someone just posted a '64 RI american tele in lake placid blue on one of the toronto gear groups... ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts