The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not new, but new to me:D I bought the ET-290 that I was asking advice about in a previous thread. It will need a good cleaning, some new strings, a bit of a set up, the pots cleaned and it should be pretty good.
The only things missing are the truss cover and stock machine heads. Machine heads have been replaced with grovers at some point in it's life. There is a little corrosion on some of the hardware, but that is just patina to me.
It is rather fun to play and for $300 + $35 sales tax, I am vary happy with it so far.:)

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
Nice, congrats!

I've always liked those units, what is the neck like?

Is it stable with the Grovers?
I know that they were a good upgrade on the Danelectro that I have.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
That looks nice.

I doubt that it is really corrosion; most likely dust, DNA, and the gold finish lifting off the hardware. The Grovers likely make it a better, more stable guitar. I still have original tuners, that most would discard. I kept them lubed and maintained. They do the job. The missing cover can be found.

Give these pickups a chance. I found them to be excellent, by just making adjustments. Changing pickups would mean finding other rings to fit. I would not change them out.

This guitar has the potential to set the action extremely low if you like, for a very fast neck. I have a brass nut on mine, which may add a little something different to my experience.

You have got yourself something that doesn't come available very often, and is a blast to play.

Lucky you!

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
[QUOTE="sulphur, post: 1216001, what is the neck like?[/QUOTE]

I find the neck to be very '70's Yamaha

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I love the whole whilshire body, but the LP style headstock looks strange to me.
I'm used to the whilshire I guess.

The full sized humbuckers should give a good SG vibe to that guitar

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice, congrats!

I've always liked those units, what is the neck like?

Is it stable with the Grovers?
I know that they were a good upgrade on the Danelectro that I have.
The neck feels good to me. not the same as the Lass Paul, but nice in it's own right. The grovers seem to be keeping it stable, but the only problem I have is that they used chrome ones when all the other hardware is gold. Although that is just a cosmetic issue that I can live with for now.

That looks nice.

I doubt that it is really corrosion; most likely dust, DNA, and the gold finish lifting off the hardware. The Grovers likely make it a better, more stable guitar. I still have original tuners, that most would discard. I kept them lubed and maintained. They do the job. The missing cover can be found.

Give these pickups a chance. I found them to be excellent, by just making adjustments. Changing pickups would mean finding other rings to fit. I would not change them out.

This guitar has the potential to set the action extremely low if you like, for a very fast neck. I have a brass nut on mine, which may add a little something different to my experience.

You have got yourself something that doesn't come available very often, and is a blast to play.

Lucky you!
I do like the pickups so far. I have read reviews that say they give a lot of feedback, but I have,t experienced any of that yet playing through my little cheepo 60s no name tube amp.
I might try that low action, when I do the set up.
Your right that it is fun to play.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<snip>That looks nice.

I doubt that it is really corrosion; most likely dust, DNA, and the gold finish lifting off the hardware. <snip>
Yes mostly the gold Finnish lifting off, but on the stop tail and bridge it appears it may have been caused by a little corrosion. I could easily be wrong about that though.
Defiantly there is a lot of dust and DNA to clean off. LOL.

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
I've tried searching MIJ Epis through that site with no luck,
where under the Fender search there's an option for MIJ.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts