The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, 70's Northern Strat Copy
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as some of you may have goaded me into doing, I recently bought this here on the forum.

String instrument Musical instrument Guitar Musical instrument accessory String instrument

That right there my friends, is my new (2006) Epiphone Dot Special. That was the last piece of the puzzle on my guitar hunt. I was after a hollow or semi that would round out my collection. As we have come to know, I am a cheap man so going for the big G was probably not in my budget as I cannot find a way to release my wallet into that world but when this popped it seemed just like it was the right fit.

Being completely unfamiliar with the Gibson side of life, I could not tell you what the neck is like, but compared to all my other guitars, think Fender Modern C, it is like a baseball bat. I was a little leery of this as it is not what I thought I liked but as it turns out, I don't like it. I love it.

If variety is the spice of life, I am now one spicey man.

Compared to the Lace Golds in the plus this thing is muddy, not in a way that is unenjoyable but it has a lot more colour to it. This is a plus in my book because sometimes it is nice to have. I haven't really gotten overly familiar with all of its sounds seeing as it has been in my possession for less than 24 hours, but I am learning.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Musical instrument accessory

(That right there is not my picture, it is from the ad)

So now that I have a foot in the door over on side Gibson (yeah, yeah I know it is an Epiphone) I am getting an inkling that this is not going to be my "last" guitar for a while because I am getting this crazy idea that I might need an LP. Why you ask?? Well don't wait for @BlueRocker Gibson Month 2023, let me tell you.

I find the play style completely unrelated to what the Strat pulls. This Dot wants to get down and dirty with me where as the Strat always seems to want to have a shower first. The colouration of the humbuckers just screams "rock" at me with a small amount of breakup and I think I might like it. Oddly enough, I bought it as an avenue to get back into fingerpicking and the sultry side of the blues but so far, we have just been rolling in the mud together.

Anyhow, if you aren't bored of me yet, I will leave it there. This thing is stunning to look at, at least in my opinion, and frankly I am in love.

·
Monster Replier
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First time I see such a nice top on a Dot.
It is stunning in person. You are welcome to come over any time, the camera does not do it justice. But thanks!! I thought the same thing, it has a lot of really nice depth.

Did I mention Grover Locking tuners?? I don't think that I did and I am so grateful. Once I was introduced to this world, I cannot comprehend why we have no outlawed everything else :)

·
Premium Member
3,527 Posts
Congrats. Nicest looking Epi I've ever seen.

Reactions: Mark Brown

·
Monster Replier
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, very nice Epi. I had a red Epi-339, but the dots on it were a lot smaller, and also somewhat rounder...😉
I dont know if you are familiar with the particular history of the recto-dot. It was long believed to be a lost ancient symbol of the gundwargan diaspora in central western north Ethiopia. Once rediscovered, for this particular model no less, epiphone wanted to maintain their familiarity with the "Dot" line while exploring this ancient culture. I know to laymen like yourself and I it looks like a rectangle..... but man that history.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts