The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really didn't need another Strat but this guitar ticked almost all of the boxes for my mythical "perfect guitar".

- Strat
- Shawbucker Humbucker (heard great things)
- Compound - Satin - Maple neck (The satin finish was a nice surprise)
- Locking Tuners
- Roller Nut (always made sense to me)
- Two Point Trem
- No string trees
- S1 Switching
- 3 Colour fade
- Great price

The only things I may change are upgrade to roller saddles, and possibly a trio of decent single coils, otherwise she is perfect.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
The 2017 Pro Series has a slightly thicker neck vs. the "modern C" that seems to be on just every Fender that's priced <$2K. Finally!

P.S. Dibs on the Shawbucker.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I don't think Fender have used an LSR nut on their Deluxe's for quite a few years now. With S-1 switching and roller nut, I would put this at mid to late 2K.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
2015. "C-Modern" they call it. Feels slim. I've been playing a Les Paul Standard lately and its slimmer than that. Satin Compound neck. Soft smooth and fast.

·
Premium Member
11,616 Posts
Nice guitar. The roller nut is such a good idea.

The only things I may change are upgrade to roller saddles, and possibly a trio of decent single coils, otherwise she is perfect.
I don't know if you'll gain much with roller saddles, though. Unlike a Bigsby-equipped guitar, where you are dragging the strings across the bridge/saddles and roller saddles help with sticking, the saddles on a Strat bridge are the fulcrum point and I don't think the strings move across them. But I'm not a Strat expert - someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: sulphur

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, I've been told all points should be as low friction as possible . I do see your point though. Makes sense to me. I got the saddles cheap so it's just a fun experiment. I've had an idea of what the perfect guitar is for awhile. We'll see if I was right, or if guitar design really did peak in the 50's

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
roller nut & locking tuners make the most stable strat one could ever want. i loved it when i did that to mine.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
They are very nice, refined guitars, with versatility. I am biased towards Strats and Tele guitars; from the most basic original designs, to whatever I can land in my hands.

I have a 2011 and love the "perfection" aspect of the guitar. The S1 and humbucker make it a guitar that can stay in your hands. Pickup height will take you many places with this guitar. Finding the right blend for power and vintage takes some time. I have been looking for a Shawbucker since they have come out. I would like to spend a few months with one to know what it really offers.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Does the S-1 switch split the Shawbucker? How does the output of the "single coils" (I'm assuming that the neck & middle pups are Noiseless) balance with the Shawbucker?

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
@Roryfan, the Shawbucker does not split. The balance is done by pickup height adjustment of the noiseless single coils and the humbucker. S1 combines other pickup configurations, and there is a blower button, or bypass for the humbucker that can be engaged anytime, alone, loud, and proud.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Very nice!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts