The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always and forever, I've been a big Steve Howe fan. So I have always been interested in an ES-175. But being a guitar I didn't think I'd use much, I just couldn't justify somewhere around 3 - 4 K for a Gibby. Walked into my local 'drug dealer' (aka L&M) and found this sweet used Epi ES-175 Premium. Less money than the taxes I paid on my last guitar.

Nice vintage lacquer burst, decent hardware and Gibson 57 Classic pickups (which I love in my 335), so I figured I'd give'r a whirl. Just so happens I was gigging last night so I got to really test it the best way I know how. I didn't even get a chance to plug it in before soundcheck (I did have a backup just in case LOL).

IMG_2036.JPG

Happily played it all night. Nice tones - and feedback at reasonable levels. All-in-all, "winner winner chicken dinner".

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats! I bet those 57's sounded great through your Lonestar!
Yes, very happy. On both channels, too, which maybe surprised me a bit. It raunches up pretty good, with feedback only a step away.

I read some comments about 'changing the pots and wiring, etc' but I like the taper to the pots. Don't know what's in there, except that they are full size pots. And that I like them just fine so far. That's where gigging it really helps me find the flaws, usually.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great. I'm a big Steve Howe fan as well and the thought of owning one has crossed my mind many times, however, when rationalizing it, I would not use it often. Why do I need to inject logic into gear purchases?!?.
I knew you were a big SH fan as well. I guess I'm surprised one hasn't passed through your hands by this point in time. You've probably own 10X the number of guitars I have - I'm a 'buy and hold' kinda guy.

But it did take me, what, 40 years to get around to buying something close to correct*. It only took me five years to buy a Dimebag Darrell guitar.

*I've got a buddy with a newish Gibson ES-175 and I look forward to comparing the two somewhere down the road.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I knew you were a big SH fan as well. I guess I'm surprised one hasn't passed through your hands by this point in time. You've probably own 10X the number of guitars I have - I'm a 'buy and hold' kinda guy.

But it did take me, what, 40 years to get around to buying something close to correct*. It only took me five years to buy a Dimebag Darrell guitar.

*I've got a buddy with a newish Gibson ES-175 and I look forward to comparing the two somewhere down the road.
My wife bought me the guitar in my avatar for a milestone bday and fair to say, i'm pretty set for SH type guitars. this is definitely a "gift and hold" guitar.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cool..
I use a lot of' Jazz
Always and forever, I've been a big Steve Howe fan. So I have always been interested in an ES-175. But being a guitar I didn't think I'd use much, I just couldn't justify somewhere around 3 - 4 K for a Gibby. Walked into my local 'drug dealer' (aka L&M) and found this sweet used Epi ES-175 Premium. Less money than the taxes I paid on my last guitar.

Nice vintage lacquer burst, decent hardware and Gibson 57 Classic pickups (which I love in my 335), so I figured I'd give'r a whirl. Just so happens I was gigging last night so I got to really test it the best way I know how. I didn't even get a chance to plug it in before soundcheck (I did have a backup just in case LOL).

View attachment 117841
Happily played it all night. Nice tones - and feedback at reasonable levels. All-in-all, "winner winner chicken dinner".
Cool..I don't play any 'Standards' nor do I want to but use a lot of Jazz Concepts in writing and Playing so in Studying and brushing up on advanced Theory Concepts..I noticed that I really liked the Neck Tones on the 175- seems like it could benefit from a Series/ Parallel/ Single switch for 5 and 6 note chords but great for fat leads without needing distortion/ gain.
Hoping to find a 25.5" scale something that is fatter than 335 like a 137 but 25.5" scale.
The 175 also sounds great a little more Modern with vibrato and EFX..
Like this Guy:

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Congrats! Beautiful looking guitar.

Do you have any recordings of yourself playing jazz music/in a jazz style?

ENJOY!

Electric Jazz tone is the only thing that makes me want to buy an electric guitar and amp again.

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool..
I use a lot of' Jazz

Cool..I don't play any 'Standards' nor do I want to but use a lot of Jazz Concepts in writing and Playing so in Studying and brushing up on advanced Theory Concepts..I noticed that I really liked the Neck Tones on the 175- seems like it could benefit from a Series/ Parallel/ Single switch for 5 and 6 note chords but great for fat leads without needing distortion/ gain.
Hoping to find a 25.5" scale something that is fatter than 335 like a 137 but 25.5" scale.
The 175 also sounds great a little more Modern with vibrato and EFX..
Like this Guy:
Maybe it's my headphones but that sounded a bit distorted, probably due to the recording (cellphone?). So hard to tell for sure, but when I think ES-175, this is the type of tone I think of (half to get a couple minutes in):

Or of course this guy (note he's on the bridge pickup for this):

What I find when I play it is my soloing changes, like I'm trying to channel Steve or something. I'm taking more chances, trying unusual intervals and patterns. Or maybe it's all in my head. I always thought I had some Steve Howe influence in my playing and this guitar seems to distill that influence. I know I'm not even in the same universe as Mr. Howe but this guitar seems to make me want to reach a little harder to get a little closer. That's a good thing, IMO.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats! Beautiful looking guitar.

Do you have any recordings of yourself playing jazz music/in a jazz style?

ENJOY!

Electric Jazz tone is the only thing that makes me want to buy an electric guitar and amp again.

Cheers

Dave
Sorry, Dave. I'm just not a jazzer - I only dip my toe into a few newer standards, like Breezin' or Lookin' Out For #1.

And I'm not a home recordist. I'm always extremely disappointed at not being able to get a good reproduction of the sounds I create in my jamroom. At this point in time, I'm more of a live player. There's much to learn with regards to mic'ing technique, compression and recording software. And that's what I hope to get into after retirement.

At this point, it really is some of the Steve Howe type tones that I'm trying to get to. Like Brian May, he just had a different thing going on in the 70s, playing an ES-175 through big, cleanish Fenders while everyone else was hammering a Marshall with a Lester. And so far I'm pretty chuffed with what I was able to get to - especially last weekend in a gig situation (that's the litmus test for me anyways - how it sounds at volume and sits in the mix).

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
that is nice, congrats!!

I am a big Steve Howe fan as well.....always lusted after a 175 style gtr but can't play well enough to justify it :D

have you seen that clip of Steve jamming with Les Paul, sometime in the '80's or '90's? jawdropping stuff. and he just jumped on stage, more or less. you can see how chuffed he is to be there

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that is nice, congrats!!

I am a big Steve Howe fan as well.....always lusted after a 175 style gtr but can't play well enough to justify it :D

have you seen that clip of Steve jamming with Les Paul, sometime in the '80's or '90's? jawdropping stuff. and he just jumped on stage, more or less. you can see how chuffed he is to be there
In every interview I've ever seen with him, he seems like such a down-to-earth rockstar. Very humble, considering the world-class talent he wields. Five GP Best Overall Guitar Player awards in a row (late 70s). They never thought that would happen in such an eclectic category.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree that the Jon Kriesburg 175 Clip is very slightly overdriven or the EFX he's using make it sound like that..but the Musician's Friend guy has a bright sound for a 175..compared to most.

IF I had a Guitar as fat in Neck as a 175 and possibly even if I get a Prestige I will have Single Coil and possibly even a 3 way Series/ Parallel/ Single to get the most out of it..

Love the Tone of the Guitar above The PRS JA15 - 25" Scale hollow no longer made.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
WARNING..Reviving a 1 year-old thread

I am going to try one of these soon as it is an itch I must scratch.

Many thanks to @High/Deaf for responding to my questions about this guitar in a recent P.M.

After much "research"/reading, these guitars do well related to value for this "style" of instrument.

My new DV Mark Little Jazz amp is providing me with such wonderful jazz tones that I just can't resist trying a reissue of such an iconic model. Call me foolish if you wish...I'm having fun.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think you'd be going far wrong if you want to get your 'jazz' on. Very warm and rich sounding, with decent hardware. I really like the soft vintagey burst finish. I'd had people ask if it's an old guitar so it looks the part pretty well. Mind you this was drinking girls at a bar, so perhaps they were referring to the owner, not the axe?

While I dabble a bit in some bad Breezin' riffs, it brings out the Steve Howe in me. LOL

Reactions: greco
1 - 18 of 18 Posts