1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
371162B3-9B83-4EBC-99B4-A0F3BA62208B.jpeg
B531A669-9429-411A-9727-D3746F8ECED3.jpeg
C4FA0953-5B31-4865-A83B-4AF020307216.jpeg
My wife bought me a very nice Gibson guitar strap for my birthday last week. Sadly she had given me exactly the same strap a couple of years ago (gorgeous padded leather with embossed hummingbirds).

I returned it and had some store credit so I added a bit and walked out with a nice La Patrie nylon string (classical).

It’s an Etude, which I assume is a student / entry level guitar, but I’m actually a bit stunned at the quality of this beautiful little instrument so far.

It’s made with nice wood for a decent price IN CANADA.

Hat’s off to Godin.

·
Premium Member
16,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, maybe I just never bothered with nylon strings before, but I really dig the sound of this guitar. The bass strings are glorious, especially the open notes.

Also the wide and relatively massive neck is comfortable in my old hand.

I wasn’t even seriously looking for a nylon string guitar. It has been on my list, never at or near the top, but I’m happy I bought one finally.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
I picked up a used Etude a few weeks ago. Like you I am blown away by how nice it sounds and how well it is built. It has replaced my Taylor GS Mini as my couch guitar. It lives behind the couch and whenever I have a spare moment it gets played. I bought some new strings the day I picked up the guitar but the old strings, tarnished as they are, sound so sweet I haven't got around to changing them yet.

·
Premium Member
16,789 Posts
Very nice.

I want an art and luthrie parlour model at some point.

·
Premium Member
4,239 Posts
Nice, congrats!

Nylon-stringers are nice until you have to restring them. :)
That’s why I never changed the three top strings except for breakage. Their tone didn’t seem to change much and the PITA it was getting the to finish stretching.

In Spain to save on the bass strings, when they began to show age, I’d always flip them 180 as there’s no start and finish like metal Strings.

·
Premium Member
16,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That’s why I never changed the three top strings except for breakage. Their tone didn’t seem to change much and the PITA it was getting the to finish stretching.

In Spain to save on the bass strings, when they began to show age, I’d always flip them 180 as there’s no start and finish like metal Strings.
I’m ok changing strings. Nothing improves the sound, tuning stability or playability more than a fresh set of strings.

So far though, I’m spending far more time playing this guitar than tuning it.

That’s a good sign.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a la patrie concert that was a dream to play but I sold it when upgrading. Your post is giving me a serious GAS attack.

Also - kudos for leveraging that guitar strap into a new guitar.

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
I’m ok changing strings. Nothing improves the ... tuning stability... more than a fresh set of strings.
You have some learning to do. Never change the strings less than a fortnight before a gig.

Nice axe! I too have an Etude, but my headstock isn't as pretty as yours.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Congrats. I gassed for one after I tried one out and regretted not picking it up last Boxing Day. Really great sounding Nylon you have. Wait till it's worked in!!!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Changing nylon string is a pain ? My luthier in Rimouski showed me how to overcome that : Once tied at the bridge, you may cut them as short as metal strings if you start with a real knot, particularly on treble ones, to avoid slipping. Get near to pitch, stretch them and retune. They will stabilize within a few days.

Reactions: Milkman

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
They're a PITA if you restring and want the bridge to look neat and tidy. I haven't restrung nylons too often so the first few times are like anything. Till you get used to the process. Then it's like riding a bike.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
At the bridge, most videos show how to tie string as making a knot. I do it that way, but pass my string twice and take care it does not pick and damage the top finish behind the bridge. I then bring the free string behind the bridge where I block it in between the next string and the bridge : Most video do not care about this detail leaving the end of the string flee against the top. Tweezers help much in this pinpoint operation if you do not have long nails. Then cut the extra lenght. Neat and clean !

·
Premium Member
16,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Meh, people always complain about string changes on Floyd Rose equipped electric guitars too.

I don’t seem to have any trouble with those so I suspect I’ll manage with this as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts