The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an AVRI '57 Reissue Strat today. As mentioned in my other thread, I am not really a Strat guy but I got this one for $899, which was hard to pass up. If I end up liking it, I got a deal. If not, a friend is interested in it, or I could either return it or try trading it for an AVRI Tele.

I am the second owner, and the original owner is a friend of mine. He didn't realize I would be interested in it and traded it, and a couple of other things, in to L&M so that he could get an R9 that he stumbled across. I guess that makes us even for me selling my Muddy Waters Tele because I didn't realize he wanted it.

All of the original parts are included, and the guitar is in good shape. It has been taken care of by a mutual friend who is a guitar tech at our local L&M, and who is the only person who works on my guitars.

I snapped a couple of quick cell phone pics because my proper camera is acting up:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2aNFRsY]
[/url]

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Looks like the trem arm has never been installed. The sticky tab is still virginal, keeping the little black spring securely in place.

Nice snag, complete, and at a good price.

In Windsor, L&M would have just sold the guitar alone, without the case, for more money. They always tell me that no one trades in the case.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
$899 for an excellent condition AVRI? Nice!

Funny that the new Mexican standards (they call them player series now I think) are pretty much the same price.

·
Premium Member
16,833 Posts

Funny that the new Mexican standards (they call them player series now I think) are pretty much the same price.
$20 less, yep. I feel bad for the guy who traded it in lol.

Well OP, in a few days let us know if you needed a strat!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Beautiful. Which neck profile did they use in the re-issues? Original '57's transitioned from hard V's early in the year to a much softer profile by year end.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If that's a real AVRI, no reason to think otherwise, then that is a killer deal!

It is definitely real. The original owner is a friend of mine and he bought it new from L&M (I texted him from the store when I was in to get it and he called me five seconds later). The sales guy who found it for him back then is a mutual friend, and funnily enough is the guy who did the transaction for me last night, so he has sold that guitar twice and both times to friends. The price ticket and receipt both had the model on them and it says on my receipt "Fender Am Vintage 57". When it was traded in the original receipt from a decade ago was still in the case, but it wasn't in there when I got it.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

The MIM Classic series are great guitars, and are basically a poor man's AVRI. I have owned a couple of got them new for $700-$800. When in the store last night I noticed a new Classic '50s Tele and the price on it was $1169! I just chuckled when I realized I was getting a real AVRI for $899.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$20 less, yep. I feel bad for the guy who traded it in lol.
He is a good friend and could have gotten more for it, but he kind of panicked when he found the perfect R9 for him. He didn't want to lose out so traded in some gear. One piece was a Supro amp, which he is buying back today.

Well OP, in a few days let us know if you needed a strat!

Will do.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Congrats! Beautiful blackie!

I got my ‘57 AVRI Strat (Fiesta Red) about 12 years ago for $800. On consignment. I didn’t know what it was other than a Strat. My friend who works in a small shop knew I love Strats and took it off the hook for me to check out when I came in for strings.

I told him I didn’t need a Strat. I already had a ‘77 that had a lot of cool changes to make it hotter and stay in tune better...but after 1/2 hour of playing I put $100 down. Sold that ‘77 within a week. That’s how much I loved (and still love) that AVRI.

It’s very different than newer models. The board has a slight curve to it (for easier barre work). As a result the high E string will choke when you bend it unless you raise the saddle a tad. EzPz after that.

Smaller frets. Older style tuning pegs aren’t locking. 7.25”neck radius is small.

I made the transition from Les Paul, classical, and a Martin to a Strat decades ago. The glossy board threw me as did the higher string tension but I stuck with and learned how to modify my technique. Soooooo well worth the effort.

Someone mentioned on the other thread that you play nothing but for 90 days. Great idea if you have that luxury of time and no gigs. If not, my advice would be to just stick with it for a while and see where it takes you. It’s an amazingly versatile and light ax but that model especially may take some getting used to, considering what you’re used to playing. At $900 you’ll make your money back easily down the road if you sell.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts