The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I combined the photo with all my most recent purchases, so I'll start from relatively oldest to newest.

First; the cab. It's a Fender MetalHead cab, which is a low key beast of a cab! It's rated for 400watts at 4 ohms and comes loaded with Celestion G12K-100's. Because of it's rather ugly look, and the fact that it's a Fender geared for metal, they sell cheap. I bought this for less than the cost of one new speaker found in this. It's biggest downside... specs weigh it in at 104lbs. Which makes sense when you consider it's made of 16-ply Baltic Birch.

Secondly; the Crate BV300 Head.
This head is one of the last American Made amp designs under the Crate logo and very rare too, as they only produced somewhere between 40-60 of these before discontinuing production. At the time Crate was owned by the parent company that also owned Ampeg, and these amps, along with ONLY the BV150H, were made in the Ampeg factory. Forget what you know of the Blue Voodoo series if all you know is the 60,100,120 etc. models; the 150 & 300 are very much their own sonic warriors. To sum it up, the BV300H is an all tube 300 watt monster, driven by six 6550's, eight 12AX7's, and one 12AU7. The power section is exactly an Ampeg SVT, married with a 3-channel guitar preamp that is very Recto-ish sounding. Believe it or not this amp actually sounds pretty amazing. The 300 watts powering it allows for a tight low end with a depth in harmonics that has to be heard. The clean channel on this amp is to die for!! My one gripe is that I hate the font used in the front of this amp. It's basically Comic Sans... this head also weighs as much as a SVT, around 95lbs.

Lastly, the guitar. It is an Electrical Guitar Company (EGC) Standard, #173 made in November of 2007. The guitar is fully aluminum, and the neck is very thin, even more so than the most recent iteration of the Ibanez Wizard necks. If anyone has held/played a Veleno then you know the neck, as this one is modeled exactly to that spec. Most of my guitar friends hate it initially. Weighs in at around 10.5lbs, which is still around 5lbs lighter than my other EGC so I won't complain. The single coil pickup on this thing is monstrous sounding; I put it to my buddies Triple Rec just tonight and it could hang with the channel 2 & 3 gain without becoming unwieldy, although still missing a bit of the chunk of a humbucker. I messaged Kevin (company owner) asking more about the pickup because it blows me away how powerful it sounds being only a single coil. I know it's a niche thing, but I love these guitars! An aluminum neck/body guitar needs a little more attention in a place like Canada, with such intense climate changes happening, but the sound and durability of these guitars are second to none, and I love not having to worry about neck warp for intonation and setup. Always a conversation starter too as people tend to either love or hate them.

Hope anyone who took the time to read all this enjoyed it and maybe even learned something worth while. Thanks for checking in!! :D

20180930_123107.jpg

·
Premium Member
17,352 Posts
I wonder how much that cab sounds like the Orange PPC412HP with the same speakers?

If you're ever looking to just get an aluminum neck built, my buddy at Robot Graves Industries does 'em.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder how much that cab sounds like the Orange PPC412HP with the same speakers?

If you're ever looking to just get an aluminum neck built, my buddy at Robot Graves Industries does 'em.
I would be curious to hear the difference too; the cab specs are different, so there would definitely be a difference.

I also have a bolt-on EGC neck, but I'd be stoked to eventually own a Graves neck. I really like the look of his headstock and have heard nothing but great things about the quality of his necks.

·
Premium Member
17,352 Posts
He's a good dude. It's on my to-buy list after tour retirement.

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
Again, expecting just a new New Guitar Day............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts