The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little over a year ago, I traded away my 2010 Hummingbird Standard in an ill-fated deal for a Gretsch that didn't work out for me. Ever since, I've pined for another one. Like many here, I check the local Kijiji/Craigslist classifieds regularly and this one popped up. It is a 2006 '60s Hummingbird, which appears to be a precursor to the True Vintage line, if my Google research is accurate.

Anyway, I love the cherry burst on this one even more than the sort of honey burst finish on the Standard. When I checked it out, it had that thumpy Gibson bass and a sweet, warm sound characteristic of the good Hummingbirds I've played. It's sort of a surround-sound effect with this guitar as opposed to the more twangy, midrange punch of my J-45. Anyway, I love it, so far. Of course, as with all new (to me) guitars, it'll be getting a visit with the luthier to be set up to my liking. But yes, I am stoked!

E89A0520-B235-4CE0-98CD-835C614549C0.jpeg
243B1E69-4D98-4CFE-A8CD-C74A87126963.jpeg

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Love those hummingbirds! Too bad they didn't have them with a wider neck to fit me.

I did order a Hummingbird pickguard for my Alvarez, just for looks. Enjoy your new "bird".

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DUde where’s my hummingbird!!! Hahaha

Congrats
Gotta get one.
Love those hummingbirds! Too bad they didn't have them with a wider neck to fit me.

I did order a Hummingbird pickguard for my Alvarez, just for looks. Enjoy your new "bird".
Thanks. I’m happy this one also has a slightly more substantial neck than the HB Standard I used to have. A little bonus. It’s not as chunky as my J-45 TV, but it still feels good.

Very nice!
Thanks! I just finished playing the shit out of it for the past hour. Time to get back to it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
A little over a year ago, I traded away my 2010 Hummingbird Standard in an ill-fated deal for a Gretsch that didn't work out for me. Ever since, I've pined for another one. Like many here, I check the local Kijiji/Craigslist classifieds regularly and this one popped up. It is a 2006 '60s Hummingbird, which appears to be a precursor to the True Vintage line, if my Google research is accurate.

Anyway, I love the cherry burst on this one even more than the sort of honey burst finish on the Standard. When I checked it out, it had that thumpy Gibson bass and a sweet, warm sound characteristic of the good Hummingbirds I've played. It's sort of a surround-sound effect with this guitar as opposed to the more twangy, midrange punch of my J-45. Anyway, I love it, so far. Of course, as with all new (to me) guitars, it'll be getting a visit with the luthier to be set up to my liking. But yes, I am stoked!

View attachment 162825 View attachment 162833
That is Nice!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Yup ! Great guitar ! :)
Unfortunately, neck too thin for me... :-(

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there some kind of epidemic? Could be the cost is relative to the neck dimensions?
In fairness, some Hummingbird Standards have fairly slim necks front to back.

I can't imagine it's the nut width, which is wider than their electrics and less than one mm under 1.75", which is common on many acoustics. The shape of the neck profile, however, can make or break it for me, so I get that part.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,194 Posts

Pretty sure that there's nobody left on the forum that isn't aware of your fat finger problem.... Is it really necessary to bring it up in every other thread?

IMPORTANT PART! Happy NGD, those are always the best kinda days :)

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Is there some kind of epidemic? Could be the cost is relative to the neck dimensions?
Nothing to do with the cost... I was not clear enough, even misleading while talking about thin neck : the thickness the whole neck does not really matter to me.

In fact, 1,75" nut width is quite my lower limit, not lower than 1,725" on Gibsons anyhow (1 5/8" prohibited for me).

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Nice guitar. I was lucky enough to play a '74 at an open jam 2 years ago. Your description of warm and sweet sounding fits perfectly for those ones. Unfortunately they are not a good fit for my rather thin......wait for it....wait for it....

Wallet!

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Sweet guitar, @jdto . One of the nicer bursts I've seen on a Hummingbird.

As for necks, I'm pretty flexible. But my preference is now chunkier R9-like necks with a scale of 24.75. As I've been saying for decades, it's all about the girth and not the length.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sweet guitar, @jdto . One of the nicer bursts I've seen on a Hummingbird.

As for necks, I'm pretty flexible. But my preference is now chunkier R9-like necks with a scale of 24.75. As I've been saying for decades, it's all about the girth and not the length.
Thanks. I really like the burst on this one and it sounds as good as it looks, too.

I, too, like fatter necks like on the R9, although I’ve been doing alright with the slightly slimmer one on my Strat, too. I also really like the PRS Pattern Vintage on my McCarty 594.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Thanks. I really like the burst on this one and it sounds as good as it looks, too.

I, too, like fatter necks like on the R9, although I’ve been doing alright with the slightly slimmer one on my Strat, too. I also really like the PRS Pattern Vintage on my McCarty 594.
So far, I've been lucky with PRS. ;) Haven't found anything that coaxed the plastic outa my wallet.

The only necks I've been OK with have been on a Santana SE, which I didn't like some features on, and a recent purpleburst SE that was just ugly. If I were to play a nice PRS with a neck, features and aesthetics I liked, I'd be in trouble in my latest "yea, I got everything I need" phase.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far, I've been lucky with PRS. ;) Haven't found anything that coaxed the plastic outa my wallet.

The only necks I've been OK with have been on a Santana SE, which I didn't like some features on, and a recent purpleburst SE that was just ugly. If I were to play a nice PRS with a neck, features and aesthetics I liked, I'd be in trouble in my latest "yea, I got everything I need" phase.
If you like LPs, the McCarty 594 is pretty awesome. I get a big grin every time I play mine. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts