The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haha. First of all, this is not meant to be a pity party but to serve more as a cautionary tale :) I only have myself to blame. We all know the old saying that has something to do with being a buyer and that you should be aware. Anyway, alarm bells were ringing on this one and I completely ignored them. I'm able to laugh about it now, a few hours later, because I can probably part the guitar out and recoup some of my $500, but still, the alarm bells. Those damn alarm bells. They were deafening and I ignored them. It all started with a FB ad for a CIJ Fender Kurt Cobain Jag-Stang. That lead to me meeting up with a guy (that admitted he had been up all night drinking) and his friend who travelled on foot at 6:45am on a dark Sunday winter morning in a bank parking lot in a part of town I'm not familiar with...Me going inside the bank withdrawing cash while they stood outside watching...checking out the guitar (which had no strings on it) on a bus bench for exactly 15-seconds in the dark while the guy's drunk buddy yelled about what an "Effing awesome guitar it was and that his buddy shouldn't effing sell it"...me forking over the cash and getting out of there as quickly as possible.

Long story short, I got home and sensing that I may not have made my best purchase decision, I popped the pick guard off to have a look underneath. Not only was none of the wiring connected, it appears that someone at some point routed it for humbuckers but used a rusty junkie spoon to make those routes.

Now, there's a good chance that this guy had no idea what was going on underneath that pick guard so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but the moral of the story is: Don't buy a used guitar in your bank parking lot early on a dark Sunday morning while the seller(s) wait for you outside and no one knows where you are.

Anyone need a Kurt Cobain Jag-Stang? :)

IMG_5569.jpg

IMG_5573.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Hah, yer braver than me G. I'd have driven up, assessed, and peeled out.

I thought this might be about that Gibby acoustic you were looking at, that L&M apparently had called you about.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hah, yer braver than me G. I'd have driven up, assessed, and peeled out.

I thought this might be about that Gibby acoustic you were looking at, that L&M apparently had called you about.
In hindsight I probably should've yanked my e-brake and spun around and just gone home. Oh well. And yes, I did go check out that Gibson acoustic. Kind of an oddball guitar but it appeared to be in really good shape.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
In hindsight I probably should've yanked my e-brake and spun around and just gone home. Oh well. And yes, I did go check out that Gibson acoustic. Kind of an oddball guitar but it appeared to be in really good shape.
Yeah, the scruffy bearded stranger who wandered up and wished you and Tom HNY and peeked at the Gibby was me. Was an interesting oddball for sure. Uh the guitar. Not you. Or Tom.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't think you're alone among the gaseous. And the flip side's "Hesitation Blues". Good attitude, and you're now due for a score. Thanks for the :) post.

Reactions: JethroTech and jdto

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
You sir tell a fine story and we are a captive audience. I could just picture the scene and the ideas and words that were running through your mind in the situation. Man, thoughts of a warm bed must have looked pretty good. Better karma for the next purchase. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: JethroTech

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
God is that some bad routing. You would have to think, after a few minutes into that job, the rational side of his mind would say: "hey maybe I should take this to a pro."

·
Registered
24,684 Posts
Technically, it should be possible to retrofit a hunk of appropriate wood and glue it in place in the neck route, then route it out properly for the single-coil pickup. The idea is that the body (which is light as it is) has something approaching appropriate mass. Given that the bridge pickup IS already an HB, I'm not sure what the owner was shooting for, other than simply having the bridge pickup be parallel to the bridge instead of at an angle.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I’m torn between calling dude back (I’m sure the money is already up his nose) or wire it, string it, flip it. That’s why they invented Kijiji.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts