The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A big thanks to @Guncho for posting this kijiji alert yesterday. :)

The seller remembers buying it used in 1990.
I emailed Norman guitars requesting info on it.

There is a very slight belly bulge on it.
I brought the action down a bit by filling a touch off the bottom of the saddle.
Plays better now until I have a chance to get some fresh strings and a new nut.

20170421_163934(0).jpg

20170421_051711.jpg

20170421_163717.jpg

20170421_163741.jpg

20170421_051655.jpg

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I received a response from Godin.
1990 solid spruce top, laminated wild cherry back and sides, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard and bridge.

While researching it, I came upon a cool discription of it;
Normans are a part of the Godin line of acoustics ... which sort of resembles a guitar version of the old General Motors.
You can buy a Buick (Seagull), or an Oldsmobile (Simon & Patrick) or a Pontiac (Norman) or a Chevy (Art & Lutherie).

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I received a response from Godin.
1990 solid spruce top, laminated wild cherry back and sides, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard and bridge.

While researching it, I came upon a cool discription of it;
Normans are a part of the Godin line of acoustics ... which sort of resembles a guitar version of the old General Motors.
You can buy a Buick (Seagull), or an Oldsmobile (Simon & Patrick) or a Pontiac (Norman) or a Chevy (Art & Lutherie).
Very good analogy! Now I have a question; what was the best, the Buick or Oldsmobile?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dave.
I didn't even inquire about the case.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I think, as a rule the Buick was a little more decked out than the Oldsmobile, which was a little more decked then the Pontiac.
I have had all three and I think you are right. However, I had and early 90's Pontiac Bonneville SSE and I liked that the best over the Olds and Buicks I had but it was a sporty model so it was a bit different even though the engine and transmission were similar.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I have a 2001 Buick and a 2007 Chevy. Both have Cedar hoods. With the wider rims (neck) on the Buick, I find finger style more appropriate. With the more streamlined Chevy and the extra electronic components, smaller rims, and just the overall feel, it's much better suited for faster picking style/Blues/flat picking...pick your poison. Easier to steer at higher speeds and takes the turns (bends) beautifully.

There's my lame analogy. Haha.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts