The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A big thanks to @Guncho for posting this kijiji alert yesterday. :)

The seller remembers buying it used in 1990.
I emailed Norman guitars requesting info on it.

There is a very slight belly bulge on it.
I brought the action down a bit by filling a touch off the bottom of the saddle.
Plays better now until I have a chance to get some fresh strings and a new nut.

Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Acoustic guitar Plucked string instruments

Acoustic guitar Wood String instrument Varnish Pattern

String instrument Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments

Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments Acoustic-electric guitar

Text Font Label

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I received a response from Godin.
1990 solid spruce top, laminated wild cherry back and sides, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard and bridge.

While researching it, I came upon a cool discription of it;
Normans are a part of the Godin line of acoustics ... which sort of resembles a guitar version of the old General Motors.
You can buy a Buick (Seagull), or an Oldsmobile (Simon & Patrick) or a Pontiac (Norman) or a Chevy (Art & Lutherie).

·
Registered
18,586 Posts
I received a response from Godin.
1990 solid spruce top, laminated wild cherry back and sides, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard and bridge.

While researching it, I came upon a cool discription of it;
Normans are a part of the Godin line of acoustics ... which sort of resembles a guitar version of the old General Motors.
You can buy a Buick (Seagull), or an Oldsmobile (Simon & Patrick) or a Pontiac (Norman) or a Chevy (Art & Lutherie).
Very good analogy! Now I have a question; what was the best, the Buick or Oldsmobile?

·
Registered
18,586 Posts
I think, as a rule the Buick was a little more decked out than the Oldsmobile, which was a little more decked then the Pontiac.
I have had all three and I think you are right. However, I had and early 90's Pontiac Bonneville SSE and I liked that the best over the Olds and Buicks I had but it was a sporty model so it was a bit different even though the engine and transmission were similar.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I have a 2001 Buick and a 2007 Chevy. Both have Cedar hoods. With the wider rims (neck) on the Buick, I find finger style more appropriate. With the more streamlined Chevy and the extra electronic components, smaller rims, and just the overall feel, it's much better suited for faster picking style/Blues/flat picking...pick your poison. Easier to steer at higher speeds and takes the turns (bends) beautifully.

There's my lame analogy. Haha.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts