The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
actually got this a month back or so...
it’s a 70s era Univox Les Paul Junior copy. It’s in rough shape but the price was ok and I really wanted a DC Junior.
It’s set neck, although there are 2 screws under the pick guard that I think were used to hold the neck on while the glue set. I see no gap and what looks like glue in the pocket so I’m pretty sure it’s not held on by the bolts only.
Almost everything on it looks to have been replaced. The plate tuners are new and not correct on this as it had individual tuners. The pickup looks like a modern issue epiphone or something. The tailpiece is not correct, and it’s a modern epiphone as well.
The body looks like solid but looking closely I think it’s a veneer over wood body. The neck is 3 piece laminated, possibly maple, which I don’t mind at all.
The fretboard is a nice thick solid rosewood, and the frets are in great shape.
Overall it’s ok, playable on the first few frets but the intonation is way off starting near the 10th fret or so. I need to get proper wrap over TP for it or modify this one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Theres lots of little chips and bits of finish flaking off the edges and near the fretboard edges. The worst of the damage is a crunch where it looks like it dropped flat. That’s on the top side too. You can see the body is 2 layers, probably butcher block type lamination with veneer top. On the plus side, it’s stable!
I just noticed that 420 scratched in the back! Ha. Kids.

For now it’ll sit waiting for spring. I’ll probably strip the chipped finish off and respray it. I have to restore that bashed bit too.

The P90 in there sounds nice, so I don’t think I’ll make any drastic changes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Oh you bastard; been looking for one of those (not specifically Univox) for 2 years cuz I can't afford a real one and the new ones don't look right.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh you bastard; been looking for one of those (not specifically Univox) for 2 years cuz I can't afford a real one and the new ones don't look right.
Ouch! Sorry... this was on Kijiji and the ad was weeks old when I responded, and it wasn’t sold. Took 3 weeks after that to finally get time to meet the seller.

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Teasing; I wasn't even looking at Ottawa Kijiji (perhaps I should; got people there who could pickup for me). Mostly lamenting my lack of luck. Congrats.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the joke. :).
Any advice on what to do with It? Total strip down to bare wood or just touch up the chips with some tinted lacquer and wet sand and polish it up?
For a start I’m going to drill and tap the TP for threaded inserts to make it intonate a bit better.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Any advice on what to do with It? Total strip down to bare wood or just touch up the chips with some tinted lacquer and wet sand and polish it up?
For a start I’m going to drill and tap the TP for threaded inserts to make it intonate a bit better.
Personally, I wouldn’t want to live with the 420 scratched into the back of the guitar, and that beast could definitely be a stunner with the right finish and touch up work. I’d do a refin if I owned it.

Enjoy! It looks like a really fun guitar. What’s the weight like on it? I checked out one of the 2019 Gibson DC Juniors yesterday and I was amazed at how light it was as soon as I lifted it off the rack.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
I would try to repair the finish but you'll need to do some testing to figure out what the finish is.
Poly is not repairable, lacquer is.
Lacquer thinner will dissolve old lacquer so thats easy to test.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Good advice. I’m going to try the lacquer thinner test, and if it is I’ll drop fill and wet sand the worse bits to clean it up. I didn’t show the fretboard edge too well but it’s chipped enough to be annoying. Not smooth but sharp edge flakes.
If it poly of some sort I’ll strip the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I have a Univox LP..love that guitar
The first two frets are worn...trying to decide if a refret is 'worth' it...its hard to play anything in the frst fret, but buying a new neck, or a refret is worth more than the guitar

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first two frets are worn...trying to decide if a refret is 'worth' it...its hard to play anything in the frst fret, but buying a new neck, or a refret is worth more than the guitar
You might be able to get the first 2 frets replaced and crowned to match the original frets.

·
Premium Member
12,582 Posts
If it's a set neck LP, I wouldn't think twice about it. Those guitars are worthy of a second life, IMO.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
If it's a set neck LP, I wouldn't think twice about it. Those guitars are worthy of a second life, IMO.
Unfortunately, its a bolt on...i would love to keep playing it...it sings
The one shop i went to told me that they would only refret the entire neck, with a side comment of, 'why would anyone only replace two frets'
Maybe ill look around some more

1 - 15 of 15 Posts