The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to bangcouver for reaching out to me and selling me this awesome guitar.

Killer players grade. Old re-fin, my favorite guitar color, nasty headstock break, routed pickup cavity.
Everything you would want on an affordable Jr!! I even love the vintage Grover tuners; a huge upgrade over the originals.

It showed up with a perfect set-up. Plays amazing, and I am not just saying that. Every guitar I ever get, I immediately put on 9-42 strings.
I played this puppy for and hour and I would have sworn they were 9-42. Turns out, they are 10-46. a testament to Bangcouvers fret leveling and set-up abilities.

Probably the best fret job I have ever played. I like my action low , and this guitar has the lowest action I have ever seen (I measured, and its a hair below 1.0mm high E on my string action ruler).
But.....I don't like the knobs. Anyone got a pair of repro knobs that would fit?
cheers!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Noice! I LOVE so-called "player's grade" vintage instruments. They're affordable cuz the damage has already been done...so you're not afraid to mod them to play/sound better or to suit your own tastes. Sweet axe!

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! The funny part is, the re-fin is so old, the headstock break was actually done after the re-fin. How often do you see that???

·
Registered
275 Posts
What a beautiful jr. It brought back a lot of memories for me. Here is a photo of me almost 30 years ago with a (if my memory serves) 1958 double cut jr in tv yellow. I didn't own it but was kindly allowed to borrow it. I remember plugging in to my half stack with an Ampeg V2 head and jamming along to George Thorogood and knocking pictures off the wall with the amp cranked...lol. Congrats on a great rock and roll machine! Btw...the acoustic is a 1960 j45 and I smile a lot more these days.
Brett.jpg

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny you should mention playing a Jr with an Ampeg V2, my main amp, which I will be trying out the Jr on as soon as I get the kids out of the house, is an Ampeg VT-40 which is the same amp in combo form. Can't wait to hear it!

But...it won't reach its sonic potential until I get a good set of knobs on it. I can really hear how the tone suffers with the crappy new knobs it currently sports.
Can anyone help me out??????

Man, that J-45 is one beautiful guitar.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Funny you should mention playing a Jr with an Ampeg V2
Thats cool...lol. As I remember, that Gibson acoustic was a real cannon. Huge deep tone. I have been hunting for a Gibson sg jr off and on for the last few years and just can't find one that I can afford....or at a time when I have cash put aside. I would be happy with one of the 90's reissues but I just never seem to see them. I used to see them in kijiji for $650 a few years back but they seem to be a rarity now and when I do see them they are over $800 which seems a bit high for what they are. I do have an old epi bolt on sg jr which I glued the neck in and it has been a great workhorse for me but a gibson would be nice. A year ago I found the epihone version of your jr in the tv yellow and bolt on neck and just had to get it for sentimental reasons. Its a year newer than my sg jr and very similar tone but with a slightly wider neck compared to the sg. Juniors are special guitars.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Thanks to bangcouver for reaching out to me and selling me this awesome guitar.

Killer players grade. Old re-fin, my favorite guitar color, nasty headstock break, routed pickup cavity.
Everything you would want on an affordable Jr!! I even love the vintage Grover tuners; a huge upgrade over the originals.

It showed up with a perfect set-up. Plays amazing, and I am not just saying that. Every guitar I ever get, I immediately put on 9-42 strings.
I played this puppy for and hour and I would have sworn they were 9-42. Turns out, they are 10-46. a testament to Bangcouvers fret leveling and set-up abilities.

Probably the best fret job I have ever played. I like my action low , and this guitar has the lowest action I have ever seen (I measured, and its a hair below 1.0mm high E on my string action ruler).
But.....I don't like the knobs. Anyone got a pair of repro knobs that would fit?
cheers!
That's a beauty!

Nathan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts